Fuel sender revisited

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

jspitz

Fuel sender revisited

Postby jspitz » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:41 am

I mentioned on here before that my fuel sender was replaced out of warranty in 2008. Occasionally I'll get 3 or so fill-ups in a row where the sender sticks, and it usually takes about 1/2 a tank of burn-off for everything to equal out. The problem goes away, then comes back weeks or months later.

It is doing it again - 2 tanks in a row.

My question is, at 76k miles and about 53 months of ownership, should I even bother with the dealer? NTB-10-031a doesn't seem to apply since it doesn't stick at 1/4 tank when empty.

Should I do it myself? Should I have a trusted independent mechanic do it?

How long should it take? NTB10-031a says 1.6 hours can be billed, but I thought I remembered reading (or hearing?) that it was more like a 5 hour job.

TIA

It looks like the parts are about $85 online

BMXPath

Re: Fuel sender revisited

Postby BMXPath » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:44 am

jspitz wrote: How long should it take? NTB10-031a says 1.6 hours can be billed, but I thought I remembered reading (or hearing?) that it was more like a 5 hour job.
For us do-it-yourselfers, it takes longer than the labor time. It took me about 4 hours.

bati

Postby bati » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:59 pm

BMXPath wrote:
jspitz wrote: How long should it take? NTB10-031a says 1.6 hours can be billed, but I thought I remembered reading (or hearing?) that it was more like a 5 hour job.
For us do-it-yourselfers, it takes longer than the labor time. It took me about 4 hours.

is there write up on how to replace the fuel sending unit?

does the gas tank have to be removed?

Tech

Postby Tech » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:19 pm

gotta remove the tank.
not hard to do, though i've seen plenty where dealerships techs f it up. You can actually damage the main part of the pump assembly and you'll never get it to read right.
There is also a clip you're supposed to add now.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:04 am

bati wrote:
BMXPath wrote:

is there write up on how to replace the fuel sending unit?

does the gas tank have to be removed?
Since xterras and frontiers share a lot of the same parts and problems as our pathfinders, I also surf some of their forums. Here's a write-up from thenewx.org on replacing the fuel sending unit on an xterra:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread ... uel+sender

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”