Front Brake Pads

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

arrdode

Front Brake Pads

Postby arrdode » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi All,

Have a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE. Measly 13,000 Miles.

Went to Dealer to get my rear hatch(trunk door) fixed today because that thing was falling and hitting my head in the winter. After reading the forum, notice I wasn't the only one. They should have a recall on this issue. Well, got free multi point inspection for free while I was there and dealer told me front brake pad has only 30% left (what? I only drove it 13,000 mile in the 3 years, and it's already down to 30%. Is it possible?? I don't think I am a bad driver that kill the brake). They said the back is fine.

My questions is, how long/many miles can 30% last? Do I need to get it replace right away? I don't trust the dealer sometimes.

Thanks in advance!

Arrdode

Npath

Re: Front Brake Pads

Postby Npath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:11 am

Wow, that's really weird, I wouldn't think you'd need new brakes already.

No one can say how long 30% brake life will last, it all depends on how often you use the brakes. I'd say, a month, look at them and see how far the pads have worn.

Easy to remove, all you need is a ratchet, loosen two bolts, removing the bottom one. Lift caliper and the pads should come out easy.

Watch out for the clip that is at the base of the caliper. It may seem useless, but it's there for a reason. If you don't know how it goes back on, look on the other caliper. Not hard to put back in.

May as well buy a pair of front pads and leave em at home. Buy from a auto parts store, the dealer asks double the price before install. All pads should be ceramics.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:44 am

Brake pads are one of those funny areas that 9 time out of 10 a dealer will tell you they are more worn than they really are. They're not measuring the pads with a micrometer or anything...just eyeballing them. They could in reality be 60% but to someone else's eyes they're 30%. Brake changes are an excellent source of income for a dealership! That's why they offer a free inspection!

I'm not saying it's impossible...and if your 13k miles is 100% city bumper-to-bumper then it's quite possible. I'm at 40k miles now and mine still look pretty good. I'm generally hard on brakes with the roads I drive and tow trailers every now and then. I usually only get about 30k out of a set so I'm pretty impressed with these.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:41 am

well supposing 13k miles for 70%

i'd say roughly another 5k miles to change em

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:38 am

I changed my pads and turned my rotors for the first time at 42K. The pads still looked like they had at least 50% left. I did it more for rotor warping than the pads being worn.

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:46 pm

sounds like BS, I don't even want to know how much you paid them to do a job you could have done yourself in about 20 minutes tops

Tech

Postby Tech » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:45 pm

if you go in to have it done, ask to see the parts before they start.

They should be measure in mm. Eyeballing by % is sketchy. When they measure your rotors, they don't eyeball. They have the tools.....they're choosing not to use them....

arrdode

Postby arrdode » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:59 pm

Mostly driving in the city/local. My average MPG is 14.6 from the monitor. Just check the ODO again, it's 12,768 miles only. Seems a bit early for a brake change. And no, no changing the front pad as the dealer suggested yet. I guess I would use my biological brake sensor before I would make the change. When the truck stop further and I want/need it to be, then I know it is time. I have no idea how to change the brake and tell how to see the wear.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Well...your biological method won't really work. Wear of pads won't necessarily result in a change in performance until they are completely worn down to the metal. By that time you will have destroyed the rotors and possibly other components as well. There is a squealer built into the pads. When your brakes start to make a very annoying sound...that tells you the pads are toast. Most prefer to inspect the pads and replace before it gets to that point...but if you can't you're at the mercy of dealers/mechanics.

arrdode

Postby arrdode » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:26 pm

You do have a point there. My brake is squealing a bit.
So was my previous car, 03 Altima and started squealing at 25,000miles. I changed the brakes at local mechanics, and it squeals within soon. Must be cheap brakes then.

Well, in any case, I might get them change in a month. After all my purpose of this truck is to get my family to places. Better be safe than sorry.
Thanks!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Light squealing can be somewhat normal, particularly if the pads aren't set just right. It happens. The noise that will occur from the pads being worn is far more obnoxious than typical squealing. It will also make the noise even when not braking.

Tech

Postby Tech » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:43 pm

Just ask for a brake check next time you get an oil change (or even sooner). Most places will do it free (because it offers a chance to sell a brake job).

Pathfinder pads start at 10mm when new, they are at the squealer at 2mm (20% if you go by that). Most reputable shops will start recommending at 3mm/30%, no sooner.

You may find the inner pad is much thinner than the outer, though nothing is seized....which is why just peeking through the wheel at the outer pad is not enough.

Ask to see them yourself. a mm is a mm no matter who's looking at it. If you find your next brake inspection yields more pad remaining than before, you can question why the previous guy is over-selling/under-estimating.

Npath

Postby Npath » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:59 am

arrdode wrote:Mostly driving in the city/local. My average MPG is 14.6 from the monitor. Just check the ODO again, it's 12,768 miles only. Seems a bit early for a brake change. And no, no changing the front pad as the dealer suggested yet. I guess I would use my biological brake sensor before I would make the change. When the truck stop further and I want/need it to be, then I know it is time. I have no idea how to change the brake and tell how to see the wear.
Read the earlier posting I put up. It's really that easy as doing it yourself will save you well over $100.

I actually forgot to mention to open up the master cylinder for the brake fluid. You'll also need small length of wood to compress the cylinder down for the new brake pads.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”