You'll NEVER believe what the dealer said....(4WD related)

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Energata

You'll NEVER believe what the dealer said....(4WD related)

Postby Energata » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:55 pm

I'm simply speechless with the explanation the dealership gave me concerning the problem with the 4WD system on my 2005 Pathfinder....

My Pathy will go into 4wd no problem, in any scenario. However, it will only come out of 4wd if I make a hard left / right turn. Maybe - 1 out of 20 times it actually will come out of 4wd while driving (when you want it to). I've got OEM size tires, the two front tires are about 6-8 months newer than the rear. This problem DID NOT EXIST before my transmission was replaced by them a year ago.

So, the Nissan dealer said, that because there is 2/32s (about 1/16") difference between the FRONT and REAR tire tread (wear)...that is why the 4wd system is behaving erratically! I've never heard anything more ridiculous and insulting as this....they supposedly swapped tires with a brand new Pathfinder and it performed perfectly. (So give me those f'n tires / rims if this truck needs that to perform as advertised OR as before the tranny replacement)

Can anyone comment on this? There is no way, that one sixteenth of an inch rubber...will cause a 4x4 truck to perform this way. This is absurd.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:18 pm

sounds absurd to me too :roll:
is this the same dealer that said they installed your "driveshaft extension" incorrectly when they replaced your transmission?

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:21 pm

That sounds like alot of BS. I would have them put the tires from the other Pathfinder on & take you for a test ride.
In 4hi, there can be issues with drive lines binding & not shifting out of 4hi, but turning left / right to get it to shift is odd.
AWD / 4wd should have enough play to shift in & out automaticly.
It could be that there is a sensor or tone ring that was damaged when the transmission was replaced.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:49 pm

On an AWD vehicle different size tires front to rear can be hard on or even damage the transfer case/transmission but I've never heard of the same size tires with a different amount of wear causing an issue.

redwing

Postby redwing » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:53 pm

Man I'm new on here and you guys are scaring the crap out of me. Maybe I should have bought something else. :shock:

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:18 pm

My '05 takes a turn of the wheel right or left on dry pavement to disengage the 4wd... always. But if I disengage it on gravel or dirt it will come out of 4wd with the wheels straight. The 4wd system on your Pathfinder is NOT designed to be operated (engaged/disengaged) on dry pavement, it will damage the system. If you want to run 4wd on dry pavement then you should have purchased an AWD LE model.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:50 pm

I've never met anyone at a Nissan dealer that wasn't completely full of it. It's been that way since the Datsun days.

If it worked fine before the trans change and doesn't now, they must have done something. The t-case obviously needs to come out to put in the transmission, but nothing needed to be messed with on the t-case itself in order to do this. Have you looked over the outside of the t-case to see if there is anything unusual - say damage due to dropping when they unbolted it. The electric actuator is plastic and is bolted to the back of the t-case. Other than that, I can't think of anything they could have actually damaged by just R&Ring the t-case.

Energata

Postby Energata » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:30 pm

NVRDONE wrote: I would have them put the tires from the other Pathfinder on & take you for a test ride..
That's precisely what's going to happen, still waiting for a written reply to do just that this Saturday. If they want to play games, I'm game. :-)
Storm4.0 wrote:My '05 takes a turn of the wheel right or left on dry pavement to disengage the 4wd... always. But if I disengage it on gravel or dirt it will come out of 4wd with the wheels straight. The 4wd system on your Pathfinder is NOT designed to be operated (engaged/disengaged) on dry pavement, it will damage the system. If you want to run 4wd on dry pavement then you should have purchased an AWD LE model.
#1, YOUR 4wd system isn't working either. #2 ....I think your missing the point entirely my friend....
redwing wrote:Man I'm new on here and you guys are scaring the crap out of me. Maybe I should have bought something else.
Me too.
08Datsun wrote:I've never met anyone at a Nissan dealer that wasn't completely full of it.
Absolutely.

We'll see what they have to say for themselves. But this is by far the most intellectually insulating thing I've heard in a long time. Whoever believes this, well, I have no words...

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:02 pm

Energata wrote: We'll see what they have to say for themselves. But this is by far the most intellectually insulating thing I've heard in a long time. Whoever believes this, well, I have no words...
might be the incorrectly installed "driveshaft extension"? :wink:

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:23 pm

redwing wrote:Man I'm new on here and you guys are scaring the crap out of me. Maybe I should have bought something else. :shock:
you honestly think other dealers are any better?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:22 am

My '05 takes a turn of the wheel right or left on dry pavement to disengage the 4wd... always. But if I disengage it on gravel or dirt it will come out of 4wd with the wheels straight. The 4wd system on your Pathfinder is NOT designed to be operated (engaged/disengaged) on dry pavement, it will damage the system. If you want to run 4wd on dry pavement then you should have purchased an AWD LE model.
Mine operates the same & has been since mile 4 on the odometer. If I engage 4HI on a snowy freeway, then run into a portion that is clear & disengage it, the 4x4 lights will stay lit. It takes a somewhat sharp turn to make the light go off.
#1, YOUR 4wd system isn't working either. #2 ....I think your missing the point entirely my friend....
Instead of assuming that you are right, do a search on the forum-this same topic has been discussed & many people have reported that their 4x4 light will only go off when making a turn while on pavement. However, I would probably be just as frustrated if I were in your shoes. I think you are on the right track making the dealer prove that what they told you is true. Do you have the AWD model (4x4 in "AUTO" mode)?

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:40 am

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:17 pm

Good read. I'm now informed. I've been driving a 4WD/AWD for years now, go figure.
pawjr74 wrote:Here's and article from www.tirerack.com that explains it...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=18

Chase

Re: You'll NEVER believe what the dealer said....(4WD relate

Postby Chase » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Energata wrote:My Pathy will go into 4wd no problem, in any scenario. However, it will only come out of 4wd if I make a hard left / right turn. Maybe - 1 out of 20 times it actually will come out of 4wd while driving (when you want it to).
From my own experience and the general consensus I've gotten from owners is that this is completely 'normal' (go figure). Agreed that your dealership is full of it...I'd love to be a fly on the wall for your conversations with them, i bet it is quite entertaining. Better sick that lawyer lol!!

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:42 pm

My 07LE as soon as i turn the know from AUTO to 4HI and back to 2wd doesnt hesitate. it comes right out of it once the its switched off. no lights stay on etc..

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”