Brake Issue on 06...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

ArmyPath

Brake Issue on 06...

Postby ArmyPath » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:04 am

I recently just changed brakes on my rig, Front and Rear, and turned the rotors. But even after the brake install i still get a lot of squeak from the brakes. I checked the parking brake linkage and wear pattern one the disks... its just really annoying! Any suggestions?

aadadams

Re: Brake Issue on 06...

Postby aadadams » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am

One thing comes to mind. Ceramic pads! I tried them on my QX4 and they were the noisiest brakes I ever used in my life. I ended up removing them and going back to semi-metallic. Did you go with ceramic pads? Did you apply the vibration reducing material to the pads?

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:54 pm

I dont agree with that at all , Ceramics are way quieter than most other pads , but I will say , brand has a huge affect on noise, I am running the Akebono Pro ACT pads and Centric Premium rotors on my '06 Path and they are great !! Also rotors have a bunch to do with it also ... bad surface on the rotors can cause a bunch of noise .... I always replace rather than resurface ...

Curious on what pads you used .... OE pads seem to always make noise ...

If you are still getting some noise ,try lubricating the back of the pads with an adhesive type copper anti seize ....

I have replaced 1000's of sets of pads and we use only Ceramic pads now because they are way less noisy ... Use Akebono Pro ACT's on every brake job we do when we can get them ...And Wurth Copper antisieze on the back of the pads on all brake jobs !! ( other than the Race stuff ! )

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:16 pm

I should have inserted the YMMV tag line, as a disclaimer. At any rate, I used pads from Autozone. They only had one ceramic, and it came with the the lubricant that I used. After I got feed up with the noise I bought more lubricant broke it all apart, lubricated then reassembled. I still had the noise after a couple of days and then I took them off and returned them for the the semi-metallics and no more noise. Could have been the brake brand, lubricant, truck, or the moon alignment with Jupiter, but the noise was unbearable. I have yet to change the brakes on my Pathfinder, but I will take your advice when the time comes...
SHAWNATGERBROCK wrote:I dont agree with that at all , Ceramics are way quieter than most other pads , but I will say , brand has a huge affect on noise, I am running the Akebono Pro ACT pads and Centric Premium rotors on my '06 Path and they are great !! Also rotors have a bunch to do with it also ... bad surface on the rotors can cause a bunch of noise .... I always replace rather than resurface ...

Curious on what pads you used .... OE pads seem to always make noise ...

If you are still getting some noise ,try lubricating the back of the pads with an adhesive type copper anti seize ....

I have replaced 1000's of sets of pads and we use only Ceramic pads now because they are way less noisy ... Use Akebono Pro ACT's on every brake job we do when we can get them ...And Wurth Copper antisieze on the back of the pads on all brake jobs !! ( other than the Race stuff ! )

ArmyPath

Postby ArmyPath » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:35 pm

I used brakes that i bought at auto zone, i do not recall the brand, but they are semi-ceramic type. I lubricated them as instructed, and still got Sir Squeaker every time I stop anywhere. it only happens at low speed, and isn't a grinding sound, but a high pitch squeak. i might just have to cave and get some new pads and start over.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:43 pm

ArmyPath wrote:I used brakes that i bought at auto zone, i do not recall the brand, but they are semi-ceramic type. I lubricated them as instructed, and still got Sir Squeaker every time I stop anywhere. it only happens at low speed, and isn't a grinding sound, but a high pitch squeak. i might just have to cave and get some new pads and start over.
Looks like brand may be the issue... I know I don't want to go through that again. It seemed like I was doing my brakes once a week for a while... I will try the aforementioned brand at some point.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:21 pm

You can hit up any autoparts store and look for what's call brake quiet. It's usually red in color and is in a bottle kind of like elmers glue. You just put a little on the back of the pads, THE PART THAT DOES NOT TOUCH THE ROTOR, and then reinstall the pads. It's kind of sticky so what it does as you let go of the brake, it pulls the pads back away from the rotor and stick to the caliper and the piston. I used it on some old hondas etc and it works great. Stick with ceramic pads as like already stated, they are better then the semi-metalic.

snakerupa

Postby snakerupa » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:40 am

As noted, use Wurth copper on back of pads. But also on the sliding contacts on both ends of the pads and clean any pad/caliper/bracket contact surfaces with a wire brush and lube them. Also, any rust lip on the rotors can make a grinding noise when installing new pads due to slight differences in pad size.

jasunderland

Postby jasunderland » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:55 am

volvite wrote:You can hit up any autoparts store and look for what's call brake quiet. It's usually red in color and is in a bottle kind of like elmers glue. You just put a little on the back of the pads, THE PART THAT DOES NOT TOUCH THE ROTOR, and then reinstall the pads. It's kind of sticky so what it does as you let go of the brake, it pulls the pads back away from the rotor and stick to the caliper and the piston. I used it on some old hondas etc and it works great. Stick with ceramic pads as like already stated, they are better then the semi-metalic.
I have had good success with the red/hot pink bottle of Bake Quiet. My wife had a VW bug and the brakes on it where really noisy till I put that stuff on it and nothing. just changed the brakes on the Pathy and put Cermic on the back and Semi Metallic on the front (Rock Auto sent me the wrong pads for the front and Advance Auto didn't have Ceramic in stock). I put some of the Brake Quiet on it and no sound at all!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”