Engine Noise at 2250 rpm

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

pathyfish

Engine Noise at 2250 rpm

Postby pathyfish » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Anyone have any ideas on this? I seem to have this noise that sounds like worn lifters clattering when I have the engine at exactly 2250 rpm. It's like clockwork, as I have a decent hill I have to climb to get to my house, and with the speed I have to go up it, I seem to be able to keep the engine at 2250 rpm the whole way up. You can almost watch the tach, and as it gets on 2250, the noise comes on, and backs off as the rpms drop off that speed. It's just that predictable.

I've tried to listen to the engine with having someone rev the engine with my head under the hood, that that doesn't seem to work too well, partly because the person helping me (my wife) has a hard time keeping the engine at 2250 rpm free revving it, and it seems like it doesn't always make the noise, while driving it under a load seems to make the noise more prevalent.

I've read here that there seems to be issues with the cam tensioners on these engines, so I was wondering if that might be it. From what I've read, doesn't seem like others have this exact same symptom, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either. I'll be taking it to the dealer for an oil change soon, so I'll probably mention it to them then, but I would like to have some ideas on it ahead of time.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any ideas or information they could add. Thanks!

2006 wiith 53k miles, well maintained.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Rusted out exhaust clamps/shields?

I had a few of these. Replaced them with screw type hose clamps.

t

pathyfish

Postby pathyfish » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. I can check that, but I would think that to be unlikely as I live in southern California. I can still take a look, though.

Thanks!

esuddenwake

Vias?

Postby esuddenwake » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:59 am

Sounds like what happened to me. Check out this link.
http://npora.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=25042

pathyfish

Postby pathyfish » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:58 am

You know, I think that is exactly it! The time I did have my wife revving the engine so I could find it, I could've sworn I heard something coming near the intake plenum or something, but I thought I was crazy. Why would a noise like that be coming from that? But, I bet you that's the exact problem.

I saw the link in that other post you had that went to the TSB article, but it doesn't mention a fix. What did you end up doing to fix it? Replace it?

Thanks!

pathyfish

Postby pathyfish » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:29 am

Nevermind on the "what you did to fix it." I've been reading about it and got the idea. I'll have to register on that site so I can see that TSB, because right now it's locked.

Thanks again for the information. Very helpful!

esuddenwake

VIAS

Postby esuddenwake » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:37 am

There is a easy fix for it with step-by-step instructions. You have to register to the website linked (Nissan Help) to be able to download the TSB, or if you want, I can can send the file to your email, I still have it sitting on my desktop.

pathyfish

Postby pathyfish » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks for the offer, but I just registered and downloaded it. I looked through it, and it looks simple enough. My pathfinder is still under warranty from when i bought it, got an extended one through Nissan since it was a certified used car. I'm going to see if they'll fix it first so I don't have to mess with it, but if they won't (first I'll raise hell) then I'll do it based on these procedures.

Thanks a lot for the information. It'll help to have the TSB printed out to bring with so they'll know exactly what to look for. I'm about 99% sure this is what the problem is.

esuddenwake

Postby esuddenwake » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:14 am

Good luck!

Kami

Postby Kami » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:09 pm

Yea had the same issue at 2000-2500 rpms and was my Heat Sheild, need realignment. Covered under warantee.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Unbelievable... not 30 minutes ago I was crapping my pants because I heard this exact noise. And here I am, already reading about the solution.

I love it when a plan comes together!

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:57 pm

I think I have this same issue. I hear more of a rattler around 2200 rpm, not really sure of that is the same as the "worn lifter" sound that the OP was talking about.

to those that have done the fix, how hard is it ? Are you basically just gluing the VIAS valve into place on the collector ? I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I just don't understand the noise and that fix, it just appears to me that we are to "glue" the power valve back into place.

Thoughts ?

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:54 pm

oreogaborio wrote:Unbelievable... not 30 minutes ago I was crapping my pants because I heard this exact noise. And here I am, already reading about the solution.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Love it!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:59 pm

I actually had a similar noise that I finally figured out was from running certain regular unleaded gas. Sounded like detonation/rattling lifters. Doesn't do it at all running 89+ octane or certain 87's...but it was exactly 2250 rpm and pulling hills.

snakerupa

Postby snakerupa » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:25 am

Had the same problem, downloaded the TSB. Did the repair. Still had the same noise. Turns out my foward left cat was disintegrating. By the time i found out, the cat had totally melted, passed into and clogged the pipe. I towed it to my workplace, ( i am a tech for another major Japanese brand), removed the exhaust, gut all 4 cats(no emmissions here), replaced exhaust. Now runs great. Matter of fact, runs like a scalded dog.
Remove the front o2 sensors inside the fender wells and do a backpressure test. This will tell of any cat conv meltdown. Test should be no more than 2 lbs backpressure.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”