Transmission feels like it slips out of gear on highway

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

05pathyse

Transmission feels like it slips out of gear on highway

Postby 05pathyse » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:25 pm

What i thought was the transfer case clunking cant be right. While on the highway if i let of the throttle it feels like it slips and grabs. not all the time but its doing it more and usually after 50mph. It does it enough everyone in the car notices the jerk of the car. What could this be??????

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:28 pm

a sign to take it to the dealer and have checked out before you destroy our transimssion.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Transmission feels like it slips out of gear on highway

Postby eieio » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:47 pm

05pathyse wrote:What i thought was the transfer case clunking cant be right. While on the highway if i let of the throttle it feels like it slips and grabs. not all the time but its doing it more and usually after 50mph. It does it enough everyone in the car notices the jerk of the car. What could this be??????
is your in-radiator-transmission-cooler bypassed?

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Read this! http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiato ... hp?menu=20 Schedule a visit to the dealer, hopefully you are inside the extended warranty.

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:40 am

Holy cow....I could hardly sleep last night. I planned on getting up this morning and starting this exact thread.....almost word for word.
Bought pathfinder used and it already had bypass and rebuilt trans.
I drive on a long road like a hwy about 60mph. After a long while I will have something bind.....like I ran over a dog. Loud thud and jerk.....then everything fine. Usually happens once. Last night 6 times in a 30 min drive at 60mph. We have snow in Michigan and roads sometimes slippery. I am in Auto mode for 4x4. I thought it could possibly be related to the VDC if one wheel slipped on ice....but it seems way to loud and very harsh. I also thought maybe it was the transfer case binding up since I am in auto mode.
I am nervous about trans. The guy I bought it from was not going to tell me about bypass or his rebuilt trans. He had it rebuilt in Florida and on his way back to Michigan something broke again and another trans place did some rework/rebuild. It is out of factory warranty...100k and also out of trans repair warranty 1yr/12000 miles. I can't duplicate on command and local dealer needs to see/hear and feel this to be able to do anything productive without bending me over....Help

bwareheim

Re: Transmission feels like it slips out of gear on highway

Postby bwareheim » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:32 pm

05pathyse wrote:What i thought was the transfer case clunking cant be right. While on the highway if i let of the throttle it feels like it slips and grabs. not all the time but its doing it more and usually after 50mph. It does it enough everyone in the car notices the jerk of the car. What could this be??????
Did you ever find out what was happening? Mine kicked me really hard today when i was driving on the highway going 60 to 70 mph. Its only ever happened twice.

05pathyse

Postby 05pathyse » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:11 am

I went to dealership and had everything checked out. No coolant in the transmission fluid. i had the tranmission serviced and transfercase fluid changed. i got home and completed the bybass and in the process noticed around the bottom of the radiator has been leaking so ill be replacing that soon in the garage not paying the dealership for that one!!! Any suggestions on a aftermarket? Another thing is the cone filter on my k&n had some how fell off after being on so many seasonal roads im wondering if ths could of caused any of this issue? We are suppose to have more snow tomorrow night so ill see if it acts up again.

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:24 pm

I have been riding around in auto mode all winter. We had had a nice stretch of dry weather so I put it in 2wd mode and it has not happened again. Now I am thinking it is either in the front diff or has to do with the VDC....when it was slipping on snowy or icy roads.

Were you in auto mode?
Was it on slippery roads?

bwareheim

Postby bwareheim » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:53 am

I wasn't in auto mode I was driving through Harper's Ferry, WV from Virginia Tech on my way back home to Baltimore. Its a good 5 hour drive and the roads were dry and it just randomly kicked me real hard and it startled me. It was the only time it had done that.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”