Why can't anyone agree on which tire to buy?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Cooper993

Why can't anyone agree on which tire to buy?

Postby Cooper993 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:57 pm

I have looked at probably every tire post on here. In each one, everyone has a different opinion.

Here are my requirements. A good all-around tire that must handle rain, snow and occasional offroad use (3-4 weeks/yr).

It should handle well on the highway, not be too loud and still have an agressive look.

Must also fit on my stock wheels and not cost an arm and a leg.

I realize that these requirements may be in conflict with each other, but it doesn't hurt to wish :)

Can anyone suggest a tire that meets the above needs?

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:34 pm

www.discounttire.com is a good place to start looking.

If price is a concern the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 gets a pretty decent review. I have not personally run them but I've been looking into what my next tire will be as well.

I use mine on the street 99.9% of the time so I'm looking into the Kumho Road Venture APT KL51. I have Michelins now that I'll probably end up getting about 40k miles out of them before they're toast but they are so expensive that I don't want to spend $800.00 again.

Hope that helps you some.

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:47 pm

you want the sun moon and stars is the problem with your search.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:11 pm

allisojh wrote:you want the sun moon and stars is the problem with your search.
At least I admitted that up front

bwareheim

Postby bwareheim » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:12 pm

general grabbers AT2

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Tires can be very subjective because many people feel/think they perform differently. Go to tirerack.com and read the reviews for a specific tire on a specific vehicle and there will amost always be one that says it's the best tire ever....and another that says it's horrible. The only way to really get a decent opinion is to look at the overall survey results. You'll probably want an A/T tire since you need to offroad at times. I suppose it comes down to how hard-core the offroading is....but just assuming you're doing this for pleasure you'll likely be trying to get around some difficult trails, etc and want the A/T.

So narrow it down to the A/T tires and then look at the ones with the highest rating. That's really the only way to do it because the statistical sample is much greater than a few posts here and there.

I off-road several times a week....but it's just mining roads where ground clearance is a bigger issue than anything. I don't want to give up on the better on-road performance (where 99% of my miles are racked up) just to have better off-road traction....so I stick to a highway tire. I have found unless you're just trying to play around...you can usually find a clearer way around a big mud pit anyway. I'm a big fan of Michelin's on trucks. Hard to beat the on-road performance. I love the LTX MS2's I bought in the fall and if I really needed more of an A/T I would have gone with the LTX AT2.

redwing

Postby redwing » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:23 pm

I really like this tire. Yokohama Geolander a/t s

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Goodyear wrangler silent Armors. They are a great at tire that is very quiet and handle extremly well.

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:25 pm

after putting every tire you could imagine on R51's (with and without the feathering issues and LCA recalls), as well as my own....I'm +1 for Goodyears.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:01 am

i second the goodyears. i have eagle gtII's and they are great.

Elite130

Postby Elite130 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:03 am

I swear by the Firestone Destination AT's. They meet all your requirements: they have an aggressive look, are quiet, do great in the rain, snow and sand, and don't cost an arm and a leg. This is the third SUV/Truck I've put the Destination AT's on. Oh, they also have a 50k mile treadwear warranty.

GFremont

Postby GFremont » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:30 am

pawjr74 wrote:www.discounttire.com is a good place to start looking.

If price is a concern the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 gets a pretty decent review. I have not personally run them but I've been looking into what my next tire will be as well.

Hope that helps you some.
I have the Hankooks on my 2008 and I really like them. Better than the stock BFGs that came with the Path. I looked at the BFGs, Yokahomas, Goodyears, Bridgstones,etc..... Having the 18in tires stock I was looking at an average of about $200 per tire or more.

After reading reviews and talking to people that had the Hankooks I decided to go with them. They were about $20-$30 a tire less expensive then the other tires I was looking at.

I did get up into the Washington passes this winter to play around and the tires were great in the snow. Handle the rain very well. I didn't get offroad yet but they did handle nice on some pretty mudding logging roads.

Overall I'm really happy with them and would definitely buy them again. I have about 10,000 miles on the tires since I bought them last November and the wear is hardly noticeable.

I bought the tires at a local Discount Tire.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:03 am

skinny2 wrote:Tires can be very subjective because many people feel/think they perform differently. Go to tirerack.com and read the reviews for a specific tire on a specific vehicle and there will amost always be one that says it's the best tire ever....and another that says it's horrible.
Spot on the money with this. Not every person will agree with another person...about anything. The actual owner reviews are one of the best sources of info because they usually detail what their driving conditions are.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:14 am

Look at Discount tires for Pathfinder A/T. I have them on my wifes Xterra, there a good price at about 150 a tire and have a nice A/T tread design but at the same time they are nice for highway and street (non over aggressive)

smarty

Postby smarty » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Posting again...
Last edited by smarty on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”