LED load resistor not working for turn signals

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

scheiby_2002

Postby scheiby_2002 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:41 pm

I recently installed 4 LED's (two front, two rear) for my turn signals. I purchased & installed load resistors as well, but for some reason they're not flashing normal. I get random lights flashing when I turn on the hazards or turn on the turn signals, so I'm confused of what it could be. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:09 am

Try taking out the resistor, our PF have electronic flash from the BCM and not a relay.

scheiby_2002

Postby scheiby_2002 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 am

I originally installed the LED's without the resistors, and I was getting the same results, which after research, is why I bought them. All 4 are brand new, so I doubt they went bad? :? I'll remove the front resistors to see what happens, maybe I don't need all 4...

scheiby_2002

Postby scheiby_2002 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:21 am

Well I removd the load resistors, and we're back to the original issue. Here's a breakdown of what the issue is...

Without:
Front left: rapid flash
Front right: no flash
Back left: rapid flash (brake light included)
Back right: rapid flash (break light included)
- Not sure why the brake lights are flashing, never tied them in

With:
Front left: normal
Front right: no flash
Back left: normal (brake light included)
Back right: normal (brake light included)

Any input is GREATLY appreciated. :?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:41 pm

Looks as if the LED in the front right is no good. If everything else is normal, something must be wrong with that bulb/led

Memphis

Postby Memphis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:07 pm

hey,, did you get the correct LEDs for our car??? We need what is called the "CK" style LEDs ( I believe thats what it is, or maybe its the SRCK style) .. Its how the base is configured so that the power and the ground are lined up right..

I ordered a set of LEDs from V-LEDS.com... At first, I got the wrong LEDs,, I didnt know that... So I pluged them in.. They worked,, but then I turned on my car,, NOT working.. So I took them out, put in the old bulbs and it was working.. So I put the LEDs back in and thought maybe It had something to do with the resistor.. Well, long story short,, It didnt work again.. then all the sudden I lost the ability to turn on my headlights.. I was like WTF.

I thought I blew a fuse, checked all fuses,, NOPE.. so the next day I drove my car and it rained.. Went to turn on my wipers.. NO WIPERS! I shit myself and freaked out... Thought to myself "wtf did I do to my car" So later after work I got home and took out the LEDs and put it back to stock.. Checked every freaking fuse in the car, and all the wiring.. Could not figure out a damn thing..

After messing with it for 2 days I had to finally take it back to the dealer to have them look at it.. after 3weeks of being without my car, the mechinic trying to figure it out and was sooooo damn confused on what had happened,, he gave up... He was totally lost on what had happened..

Now of course I didnt tell them exactly what It is I did cuz they wouldnt have covered it under warranty, but after 3.5wks of them having my car and being lost,, they decided to swap out the PCM with another PCM from a pathefinder that just happened to be there being serviced also.. and guess what.. everything worked!!

so long story short.. $1750 later,,, everything worked again.. and all this was cuz of a my $70 LEDS that were the wrong kind.

So just becareful when you are doing this, cuz if you dont have the right bulbs, you will FRY your electrical system and its not cheap to replace..

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:12 pm

You just swapped out bulbs? Anyone do a whole LED taillight assembly swap?

scheiby_2002

Postby scheiby_2002 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:12 pm

So yeah, I don't know why I didn't catch this. They're the right bulbs, I made sure I ordered the right ones. What I didn't catch, is the one prong on the bulb was bent at an angle, so it was touching both the turn signal power tab & ground tab inside the socket itself, which was causing all this nonsense. I know right? :oops: Who woulda thought to check the prongs when inserting the bulb into the socket...

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:50 pm

volvite wrote:You just swapped out bulbs? Anyone do a whole LED taillight assembly swap?
I want to know about this too. I saw some that looked really nice, but wanted someone to give me thumbs up before moving.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:48 pm

I saw some on Amazon but wasn't sure the quality. Waiting for someone to try it first.

Return to “General Automotive”