The cause of my rear alignment issues...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

goblue90

The cause of my rear alignment issues...

Postby goblue90 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:35 pm

I crawled underneath my Pathfinder today to grease my u-joints and checked out the rear lower links and saw this:

This discovery sped up my plans to replace my lower links and install the Rancho rear spacers. It took ~ 2 hours to get this cam bolt out as it was fused to the bushing. I ended up cutting it out using a reciprocating saw and dremel with metal cutting disc.

I only got the driver's side done today but will be replacing the passenger side link tomorrow. The driver's side now sits 1/2" lower than before (had the lift coil that came with the 4X4parts AC Deluxe Suspension package).

Here's a shot of my hi-lift jack in action with an SBE slider-adapter:

Last edited by goblue90 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:17 am

My rear lower arms weren't rusty but the bushings went bad. Good thing the lower arms are cheap!

Give us a measurement from the ground to the top of the rear wheel opening when you get a chance.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:20 am

pawjr74 wrote:My rear lower arms weren't rusty but the bushings went bad. Good thing the lower arms are cheap!

Give us a measurement from the ground to the top of the rear wheel opening when you get a chance.
The driver's side went down from 37 1/8" to 36 5/8" (measured from ground to top of the rear wheel well). I'll provide new figures after I replace the passenger side today.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Well, just like the driver's side rear lower link, the passenger side cam bolt was fused to the bushing on the rear lower link. It took a reciprocating saw and 3 blades to free the lower link, but it only took me an hour this time. Here are before and after pictures. I like how evenly the vehicle sits now:

With rear lift coil from AC Deluxe Suspension:

With Rancho spacers, OEM rear coils, and Air Lift 1000 bags (not inflated yet):

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:15 pm

That looks very cool. I like the black wheels and the Duratracs. They make it look a lot more aggressive. The stance it about perfect.

So is it not possible to replace only the bushings, maybe with a better quality bushing? Also, what mileage are y'all at? I've noticed ours is feeling looser lately and it has 83K miles. I need to get under there and look at mine.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:32 pm

richardekirby wrote:That looks very cool. I like the black wheels and the Duratracs. They make it look a lot more aggressive. The stance it about perfect.

So is it not possible to replace only the bushings, maybe with a better quality bushing? Also, what mileage are y'all at? I've noticed ours is feeling looser lately and it has 83K miles. I need to get under there and look at mine.
Thanks! Wait to you see what I have in store next (pics to come next week).

I don't think you can only replace the bushings. I only have ~54,000 miles on it and to prevent this from happening again, I coated the cam bolts in anti-seize before installing them.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:07 pm

You can't get just the bushings but the arms are only about $40 each.

You'll have to let us know how your rear alignment turns out now that you've gone from the lift springs to the rear spring spacers.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:42 pm

pawjr74 wrote:You can't get just the bushings but the arms are only about $40 each.

You'll have to let us know how your rear alignment turns out now that you've gone from the lift springs to the rear spring spacers.
Will do. I hope to get to the alignment shop later this week.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:09 am

goblue, you shouldn't have any alignment issues, my pathy aligned perfectly within factory spec with the rancho spacers. You must live in NC, with that name and that neighborhood in the pics looks like everyother neigborhood here :) . And great looking ride btw.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:22 pm

i like the black wheels also 8) . can't believe your changing wheels again.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Storm4.0 wrote:goblue, you shouldn't have any alignment issues, my pathy aligned perfectly within factory spec with the rancho spacers. You must live in NC, with that name and that neighborhood in the pics looks like everyother neigborhood here :) . And great looking ride btw.
Thanks Storm! I drove on the highway today and everything felt fine, but I'll still bring in for an alignment. I'm actually in Northern Virginia... not a Blue Devil fan, but a Michigan fan! :D

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:30 pm

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:i like the black wheels also 8) . can't believe your changing wheels again.
Haha! It's the last time, I swear! (and that's what I told my wife the LAST time). Anyway, sold the wheels already! :D

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:58 pm

I know this is an old thread but Thanks for this info.

I am having a major rear Toe issue after installing Rancho 1.75" coil spacers on rear of my 08 Pathy, 4x4. At maximum adjustment on the cam bolt I still have very bad Toe-out (-1.74°) both sides.

The guys at 4Wheelpart installed the coil spacers and aligned the wheels. I don't think they do many Pathys, and they didn't know what to do... I'm going to look into this, as perhaps my bushings are so bad that the cam bolts are doing nothing??

I'm very surprised I'm having this issue, because so many have added the Rancho spacers without major issues. Do you know if I can buy the whole lower links with bushings installed? After reading the problems some have had removing the rear bushings it may just be easier to replace both lower links?

My Issue: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 8502#58502

Shady123

knuckle bushing?

Postby Shady123 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:05 am

goblue90 (or anyone else w/ the same problem),

I'm experiencing the same problem w/ the rear lower link bushing. I am in the process of ordering 2 new lower spring arm links but wanted to know if you also replaced the bushing in the knuckle (on the other side of the arm).

If so, was this an easy replacement? It doesn't look like it needs to be pressed in like other control arm bushings.

Also, this may be a stupid question but did you need to use a spring compressor to remove the lower spring arm link? or can this be removed by slowly lowering the arm w/ a jack?

Cliff_Jumper

Re: knuckle bushing?

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:40 am

Shady123 wrote:goblue90 (or anyone else w/ the same problem),

I'm experiencing the same problem w/ the rear lower link bushing. I am in the process of ordering 2 new lower spring arm links but wanted to know if you also replaced the bushing in the knuckle (on the other side of the arm).

If so, was this an easy replacement? It doesn't look like it needs to be pressed in like other control arm bushings.

Also, this may be a stupid question but did you need to use a spring compressor to remove the lower spring arm link? or can this be removed by slowly lowering the arm w/ a jack?
I had the same. I did the same as blue to take off. It would've easy, but it was fused and had to break out the cutting wheel. That took time.

I did the driver side too.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”