? concerning tranny/rad issues.

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

PC05

? concerning tranny/rad issues.

Postby PC05 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:34 pm

I posted last weeks experience regarding tranny issues here:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... &start=285

My question now is, if those of us that are about to run out of the extended warranty, would the solution to this be to flush tranny (just PM) and put a new radiator in prior to warranty expiration?

I am assuming that if you ordered a new radiator now it would be an upgrade or new version of the one that was installed in the problem vehicles during those yrs.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Anybody have any opininons?

gond34

Postby gond34 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:18 pm

That's what I intend on doing... I've still got a couple years on my extended warranty (I'll hit the # years before the mileage limitation), but when the time comes I'm either going to replace the radiator or cap it off and take it out of the loop and do a flush (I don't do hardly any towing, so the external cooler should be good enough for me). If you do a lot of towing, I'd simply replace it.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:57 pm

Thanks,

I dont do any towing at all with it. I guess I will just replace the rad at about 79,900 miles.

Reading on some other boards it seems people are backing off of the by-pass now due to different issues, but have yet to see a definitive solution for this problem. Logic says a rad replacement should take care of it.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Nissan will replace your radiator/cooler if there is no issues with your transmission. If there are issues, they will replace whatever needs to be done, including the tranny, radiator and other parts.
If you had done your own repairs, Nissan will refund you the costs.

I had my transmission replaced along with the radiator and a few other parts and Nissan reimbursed me all the costs.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:37 pm

So are you saying I can take my Pathfinder into the dealership when I have not had a problem with the tranny and they will replace my radiator with an updated radiator for free? I don't see that happening.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:59 pm

The trans cooler in the radiator has to fail first.

2006R51MD

Postby 2006R51MD » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:28 pm

SPICOLI wrote:Nissan will replace your radiator/cooler if there is no issues with your transmission. If there are issues, they will replace whatever needs to be done, including the tranny, radiator and other parts.
If you had done your own repairs, Nissan will refund you the costs.

I had my transmission replaced along with the radiator and a few other parts and Nissan reimbursed me all the costs.
What are the year/mileage limitations on this?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:53 pm

2006R51MD wrote:What are the year/mileage limitations on this?
http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiato ... hp?menu=22

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:03 pm

I had the radiator replaced for ~$400 just for the piece of mind it provided and as cheap insurance. At first the shop thought I was paranoid, but when I went to pick it up the next day they sang a different tune as if the radiator guy had told them a few horror stories. I have heard that this occurs with other mfg that used that supplier. When Nissan decided to do a recall/reimbursement they did not ask if I was experiencing prior problems, just paid for the replacement expense. So I was not out any $$$.

In my opinion, you can not tell me that any coolant, no matter how small, won’t affect the life of the transmission. Water doesn’t lubricate too well, you know.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Well here's my situation. I have an 08 LE with the 5.6L. It has 20k miles and works great. It is still under warranty and it's actually a certified pre-owned. Should I see about having the dealer try and swap my radiator, take it to a shop and pay up front to have the radiator swapped and then get a refund from Nissan? I have not seen any signs of coolant in the transmission fluid.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:14 pm

volvite wrote:So are you saying I can take my Pathfinder into the dealership when I have not had a problem with the tranny and they will replace my radiator with an updated radiator for free? I don't see that happening.

I'm saying that's what my recall/warranty extension letter said. I got a new transmission and radiator courtesy of Nissan Canada. I know of two other Pathfinder owners who had their radiators replaced without any issues at the dealership. I guess my dealership takes a proactive approach towards vehicle warranties. They replace parts before they fail.

My advice, talk to your dealer and see what they will do for you. It's all in how you approach them.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Yea that aint happening where I live, wont replace unless there is a problem. So Guys like me will be out of pocket the money to fix their problem. Im going to try and call nissan and see if I can get something done on their nickel.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:50 pm

CPLTECH wrote:I had the radiator replaced for ~$400 just for the piece of mind it provided and as cheap insurance. At first the shop thought I was paranoid, but when I went to pick it up the next day they sang a different tune as if the radiator guy had told them a few horror stories. I have heard that this occurs with other mfg that used that supplier. When Nissan decided to do a recall/reimbursement they did not ask if I was experiencing prior problems, just paid for the replacement expense. So I was not out any $$$.

In my opinion, you can not tell me that any coolant, no matter how small, won’t affect the life of the transmission. Water doesn’t lubricate too well, you know.
I got the letter also but how did you get them to reimburse if there was no problem with your vehicle?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”