Pre-Bypass Hose Connections..............

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Pre-Bypass Hose Connections..............

Postby eieio » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:24 am

of the two ATF hose nipples coming off of the engine block, the upper one is straight and the lower one is angled
can anyone help me with where the hose from the upper straight one connected to and where the hose from the lower angled one connected to before the bypass?
:?
Thanks!

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:36 am

I almost got to tell you. I have a small car lot and went to check out 2006 I have. As soon as I went outside the detail shop came and took it away to clean it up. If you can wait a few days I will be able to let you know. My 2005 has already been bypassed.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:52 am

jlwardn wrote:I almost got to tell you. I have a small car lot and went to check out 2006 I have. As soon as I went outside the detail shop came and took it away to clean it up. If you can wait a few days I will be able to let you know. My 2005 has already been bypassed.
thanks
mine are both by-passed, but i may have reason in the near future to reverse the bypass to do some towing with the lower mileage one (it only has 18,000 miles on it, so i'm relatively confident that a temporary by-pass reversal for a 450 mile trip won't be an issue)
i want to be sure that i get the hoses re-connected back to the original configuration & routing for the reversal
on the other hand, i still can't decide whether to leave it by-passed for the towing chore.............. :?

dbetterred

Postby dbetterred » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:48 am

Just leave it bypassed, I've been towing with mine bypassed for 60K miles it will be fine.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:06 pm

dbetterred wrote:Just leave it bypassed, I've been towing with mine bypassed for 60K miles it will be fine.
that's the direction i'm leaning.
how much do you tow with the bypass, and at what speeds? any long grades?
do you have any additional coolers or fan?
i'll be at highway speeds almost the whole time, with a couple of long, but not particularly steep highway grades.
the trailer plus contents i need to tow will be about 2,000 - 2,200 lbs.
still, undecided :roll:
on the one hand, if i reverse the bypass & the internal cooler fails, it's on Nissan (even though it terrifies me to let them touch my truck).
on the other hand, if i tow with the bypass and roast the tranny, it's my expense.
seems several others here are towing heavier loads than mine without any problem.

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:07 am

I bought mine with 98k miles and after the bypass and new trans. When I compare it to one that has not been bypassed.....it looks like someone replaced the smaller aux oil cooler with a much larger one. It is thicker and about 40% larger in surface area.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Pre-Bypass Hose Connections..............

Postby eieio » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:45 am

bump............
eieio wrote:of the two ATF hose nipples coming off of the engine block, the upper one is straight and the lower one is angled
can anyone help me with where the hose from the upper straight one connected to, and where the hose from the lower angled one connected to before the bypass?
:?
Thanks!

fresnoDave

Postby fresnoDave » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:35 am

If the tranny fails when you are towing while bypassed (unlikely)
just re-connect the cooler hoses before you take it back to the dealer.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:25 am

fresnoDave wrote:If the tranny fails when you are towing while bypassed (unlikely)
just re-connect the cooler hoses before you take it back to the dealer.
good thought, but the warranty extension for a failed internal radiator cooler will not cover a failed tranny unless the tranny failed as a result of coolant contamination

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:49 pm

OK, here's my deal. I bypassed the cooler on my 06 pathy about 3 years ago.
In the summer I tow a 19' boat that weighs 4200 # on the trailer. I've towed east on I90 from Seattle to Moses Lake & Lake Chellan many times in the summer with out any problems. My average towing speed is about 65. I'm a little fussy about the maintance on the car & I do a complete trans fluid exchange every 30k using Nissan matic J fluid with no additives. I justurned over 90k & am due for service, but the fluid is still good. I'm planning on putting in a trans temp guage just for grins.
My advice - just leave the bypass in & go for it.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”