bad fuel

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NVRDONE

bad fuel

Postby NVRDONE » Fri May 13, 2011 8:37 pm

I got a tank full of bad fuel in my 06 path & I think the cats have failed. The check engine light is on - I haven't pulled codes yet, but intermittantly it looses all power.
I live in an area that has no smog checks so can I gut the cats & hopefully regain performance ?

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed May 18, 2011 10:22 pm

you sure it's not your ECM relay?

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Thu May 19, 2011 8:22 am

It would be great if it's the ecm relay as that has not been replaced under waranty. I thought it may be fuel related because it happened about 12 miles after I filled up. The car has been at the dealer since Monday. They found a PCV hose was leaking, but keep getting the wrong replacement hose. Hopefully it will be done by tomorrow.

Tech

Postby Tech » Thu May 19, 2011 11:43 am

if it's a PCV hose vac leak, they should also have high alpha when it acts up.

The ECM relay should be the first thing they do (recalls first). If they monitor the voltage with the ConsultII/III tool, the voltage will be low when it's running rough/poorly

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Sat May 21, 2011 8:38 am

Ok, I picked up the ar last night & got about 5 miles away when the check engine light came on again. This time it stays on steady but flashes on acceleration or slight load. Got home and pulled codes - po300 random miss fire.So back it goes today. it would be great if the tech would have test driven the car after the repairs.
Have there been problems with faulty ECM's ? It took 5 fuel pump assemblys to corect that problem.

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Sun May 22, 2011 10:30 am

So the car is now back at the dealership. I got about 1/2 way there & lost all power, so I had it towed in.
When I got there the tech pulled codses & found P0300 - random misfire.
He thinks that because the PVC hose broke. that allowed raw fuel into the exhaust & has caused the cats to fail, blocking the exhaust system.
It sounds mucho expensive. I should know more tomorrow.
Atleast I got a 2011 Pathfinder as a loner car.

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Wed May 25, 2011 7:45 am

Well, the dealer called last night with the bad news. They say that all 4 cats need to be replaced at a cost of $2800.00.
They say that because the PVC vacume hose broke, that caused an over rich condition dumping raw fuel thru the cats causing them to fail. I wish I could just get rid of the cats. They say that they disconnected the exhaust system ( I don't know if that's before the cats or after ) and the car ran fine.
Hopefully it should be done by the end of this week.

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Fri May 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Well, the car is back after $2900.00.
The tech showed me the cats & what a mess. The passenger side primary cat was completly hollow & the secondary cat was so plugged no air would flow thru it.
The driver side primary cat was starting to brake up, so they replaced both cats on the left side.
Now the car drives great.
I guess the cost isn't too bad considering this is the first expense other than normal maintance since the car was new.
Hopefully no more big expenses.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri May 27, 2011 8:17 pm

I don't know how 3 grand is ok for repairs. There must have been a cheaper or upgraded exhaust you could have put on vs, 3 grand for stock components.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Fri May 27, 2011 8:26 pm

volvite wrote:I don't know how 3 grand is ok for repairs. There must have been a cheaper or upgraded exhaust you could have put on vs, 3 grand for stock components.
After market cats... Hmm...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri May 27, 2011 9:00 pm

aadadams wrote:
volvite wrote:I don't know how 3 grand is ok for repairs. There must have been a cheaper or upgraded exhaust you could have put on vs, 3 grand for stock components.
I'm referring to high flow cats from Magnaflow etc. They make them to meet emmision standards but also increase exhaust flow and reduce restriction. Just something I would have looked into for 3 grand instead of OEM cats.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Fri May 27, 2011 9:10 pm

volvite wrote:
aadadams wrote:
I'm referring to high flow cats from Magnaflow etc. They make them to meet emmision standards but also increase exhaust flow and reduce restriction. Just something I would have looked into for 3 grand instead of OEM cats.
I didn't know aftermarket cats were an option... LOL! You learn something everyday... There's mine!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri May 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Here is a good link for magnaflow. Plus you can contact them to look up about High flow cats.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_co ... erters.asp

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”