Performance Upgrades!?!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

slappy1eye

Performance Upgrades!?!

Postby slappy1eye » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:27 pm

I don't see any post about comparisons of different performance enhancements; ie: Cold Air Kits, Throttle Body Spacers, Mass Air Flow Meters, Exhaust Systems, Hi-Flow Cats? There are plenty of upgrade parts available any body tried any of them? Think any are better than the other? I have an 08 PF with the 4.0L and I was looking at adding the K&N Off Road Air Filter Kit with the AFE Throttle Body Spacer and the JET Power-Flow Mass Air meter, should be good for an additional 20Hp but fuel economy is what I'm really after. Any fuel economy tips?

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:03 am

Over at cleanmpg.com, the hyper milers found that cold air intakes give more HP but less MPG. They should know. Also drive slower… You’re driving a brick.
I am led to understand that an intake spacer by poster “highaltitude” [See final post of 10/23/2010] improves HP & MPG: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ake+spacer
I purchased a Volo performance chip model FS3. It accesses the computer thru the OBD II port. I get slightly better MPG than without it.
I pump up tire pressure above rating on door. Some tires roll better than others [Michelin is a good one]
The transmission needs to be above 40-45MPH for the torq converter to lock-up, then better MPG’s happen. Otherwise it is a soccer mom’s slush-a-matic SUV. Also it does not go into “fuel shutoff” when coasting down a hill. There are times I throw it in N and watch the MPG readout climb.

These are some of my observations after 1 ½ yrs of ownership. It replaced a 98Tahoe. Not only is the PF not so massive but gives me 15-20% better MPG. I, for one, wish it had the 6sp MT as found in the Frontier or X-Terra.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:25 pm

CPLTECH wrote:Also it does not go into “fuel shutoff” when coasting down a hill. There are times I throw it in N and watch the MPG readout climb.
My MPG readout max's out when I go downhill. Have you read somewhere that the fuel doesn't shutoff with no load on the engine?

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:34 am

CPLTECH wrote:There are times I throw it in N and watch the MPG readout climb.
AC on/off ?

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:10 pm

Sorry that I did not explain myself better.
Most of my driving is about town and on those downgrade speeds of ~45 or less, it appears the TC is unlocked. Guess I need to buy a ScanGaugeII that shows instant MPG & more. Had an Australian kit on the old Tahoe & loved the info it provided.

I must say that the transmission is where the engineers went overboard in design when it comes to the fact that the TC is constantly in a state of percentages until full lockup in 5th only when conditions are met. I liked my Tahoe that would either be unlocked or locked in 3rd & 4th . Extremely advantageous if towing. And I am yet unconvinced that this constant varying of the TC helps my MPG any. It bothers me to such an extent that I will be looking at other brands when this one outlives its usefulness. If I was a mechanic with time on my hands, I would go out and buy a wrecked XTerra or Frontier with a MT and swap it out… I dislike this trans that much.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”