Tire Loudness

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

cbacarisse

Tire Loudness

Postby cbacarisse » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 am

Right now I have the factory BFG Long Trail Radial tires.

Are the All Terrain TA tires much louder on the interstate?

I do a lot of highway travel, but I go on construction sites a lot and am prone to running over crap. I thought All terrain tires might handle it better, but I really don't want to hear the loud roar on the highway.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:28 am

There are some A/T's that aren't as loud....Michelins for one. I drive mining roads at time...but mainly need ground clearance more than traction. I get along great with the Michelin highway MS2 and they're very quiet. I've had the LTX AT as well and they're pretty quiet too...just not as good of handling which is also high on my priority list. A/T's also generally get much louder as they wear.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:19 pm

Skinny2 is spot on. I'm now running Mich LTX MS2's and really like 'em - quiet on the highway, pretty effective-looking M&S tread, and overall a really hard-soled shoe for the PF. I'm not complaining . . . they're just a lot stiffer than the Mich Cross Terrains that I dumped at 32K 'cause they were worn out. The CT's were 4-ply, vs 5-ply for the MS2's, which I'm sure contributes to the handling difference. I actually think the CT's were more responsive to steering input, but money is money, if you know what I mean. I don't offroad, and I only have 4-5K on the MS2's, but, as I said, I like 'em. YMMV :-)

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 pm

You want a good quiet tire?!? I would highly look into the Goodyear Silent Armors. They are an AT tire that are real nice for road conditions and very quiet. They do very well off-road as well. I had a set of E rated LTs on my 99 Jeep before I lifted and bought MTs. However I will be putting them back on my Jeep when the MTs wear out. They were a great tire and I don't have anything bad to say about them. They also have a good treadlife warranty as well.

cbacarisse

Postby cbacarisse » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:13 pm

Thanks guys.

As I said, I don't really go off-road that much. Just on commercial construction sites, which sometimes have a lot of debris, nails, mud, sand, cut sheet metal and stuff like that. I haven't had a problem with these tires yet, but was looking for something a little more aggressive looking without the loud noise.

I had goodyear forterra on my last truck, they were a decent tire.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:15 pm

The silent Armors will not disappoint you. Loved them.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 pm

I can't say enough about the Bridgestone REV02s. Quietest tires I've ever driven on. Wearing good too.

Elite130

Postby Elite130 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:06 pm

disallow wrote:I can't say enough about the Bridgestone REV02s. Quietest tires I've ever driven on. Wearing good too.
+1...I just put the Revo 2's on my Armada and they are nice and quiet. I would also highly recommend the Firestone Destination A/T's. Both tires are quiet, handle well in dry, rain and snow, great wear, and look good.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:35 pm

I'm a huge fan of the REVO 2's as well but they get very loud as they wear. On my Tundra they really started to sing after about 20k (replaced at 30k)....so after about 7-8/32nds I would guess. Good tire though particularly if you need the traction.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”