Time for new Shocks and Struts

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

openspaces

Postby openspaces » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:11 am

Finally sick of the side to side action and going to order these for my 06 4x4.

Is there any sales/promotions anywhere to get the cheapest possible price? If no sales then just a reliable website to order these from. Thanks

khaosduke wrote:just ordered rear bilstein 24-186919. I noticed when i shake the car from the back I can hear the suspension, and I can see it wobble side to side, makes me feel like one of the shocks are blown or close to it.

Junior

Postby Junior » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 am

Question for the folks that have already switched to Blisteins....did you keep your AirLift bags installed as well or do the new shocks resolve all rear sag problems?

05pathyse

Postby 05pathyse » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:52 am

I still have the air bags along with rancho two inch spacers and new rear Bilstein and adjustable Bilstein up front. Worth the money

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:23 am

Junior wrote:Question for the folks that have already switched to Blisteins....did you keep your AirLift bags installed as well or do the new shocks resolve all rear sag problems?
The ride is improved and there should be a little more resistance to bottoming out in the compression damping, but no...new shocks do not affect sag at all. That's entirely a spring thing.

I am very, very happy with the Bilstein/Air Lift 1000 combo in the rear. Drives much more like a car. Even with 0 psi in the bags initially (my dealership emptied them without telling me to do some work a few weeks ago) they provide a lot of resistance to bottoming that you won't get otherwise...

Junior

Postby Junior » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:06 am

Thanks guys. I've had the AirLift bags in for a couple years now and really noticed the difference. Well worth the money spent.
I'm now due for shocks (100k on the odo) and tempted to do a 2" lift at the same time. If I'm tearing things apart anyways....why not? :twisted:

gkb62001

Postby gkb62001 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:38 am

Junior wrote:Thanks guys. I've had the AirLift bags in for a couple years now and really noticed the difference. Well worth the money spent.
I'm now due for shocks (100k on the odo) and tempted to do a 2" lift at the same time. If I'm tearing things apart anyways....why not? :twisted:
Let us know what you decide to do. I'm convinced that I'll go for airbags and 2" lift when I am forced to replace the shocks on my 2005. I've got 83,000 on it now and definitely notice the wallow on the highway; especially hitting bumps while in a turn. I haven't noticed the back end bottoming out much though.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Junior wrote:Question for the folks that have already switched to Blisteins....did you keep your AirLift bags installed as well or do the new shocks resolve all rear sag problems?
Kept the bags, rear bilstein 5100s.

Cheapest source of these were on 4x4parts.com.

Next for the fronts!

t

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:01 am

pawjr74 wrote:
khaosduke wrote:just ordered rear bilstein 24-186919. I noticed when i shake the car from the back I can hear the suspension, and I can see it wobble side to side, makes me feel like one of the shocks are blown or close to it.
Check your rear lower control arm bushings. They've been known to go bad.

I'll check them out tomorrow when I install the new rear shocks. Also it seems like you can't just buy the bushing if its bad, you have to get the whole control arm? That's what I see on the courtesy nissan site at least. I have another question, might be more complicated. If I decide I want to do the front struts later on; how do I pick out a shock thats "compatible" with the rears I bought? It seems like some say you can't get x y z rears with a b c fronts or vice versa just wanted to see what the general consensus on this is. Thanks for all the help guys.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:44 am

khaosduke wrote:
I'll check them out tomorrow when I install the new rear shocks. Also it seems like you can't just buy the bushing if its bad, you have to get the whole control arm? That's what I see on the courtesy nissan site at least. I have another question, might be more complicated. If I decide I want to do the front struts later on; how do I pick out a shock thats "compatible" with the rears I bought? It seems like some say you can't get x y z rears with a b c fronts or vice versa just wanted to see what the general consensus on this is. Thanks for all the help guys.
I believe that is correct. Fortunately they are only $90, I doubt you could get the bushing and press in for much less.

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:15 pm

just did the rears today. So far so good, noise is completely gone, wobble is gone, brake response is better since the shocks don't rock. It makes a huge difference from the little driving I've done so far with the new shocks. The old ones were shot, one would barely even come back when pushed in.

The bolts were a pain as everyone keeps saying. However I noticed something on the lower bolts. The nut seems to be held in place by a bracket welded to the mounting bracket. I don't know if anyone else mentioned that. That is to say, if you wanted to remove the nut completely you would have to break a weld. I did buy new nuts and bolts before doing this so it didnt concern me if I had to cut a bolt.

One bolt was so stubborn we used a propane torch to heat it and remove it.

The bolts are what make it a project, the actual removal and install is easy.

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:16 pm

I also checked all the bushings, they were fine

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:06 pm

I likewise bought new nuts and bolts just in case and was worried about the lower rear bolts when I saw that bracket, but luckily the nut threads were fine. The only corrosion evident was on the outer surfaces and exposed threads of the bolt.

New Bilsteins and the Air Lift really straightened out loads of things on my truck. Have you noticed odd shoulder block wear on your tires despite good alignment and balance? Yeah, that should start going away too...

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:16 pm

Can't say Ive noticed any weird wearing, my tires are worn nice and evenly all around. I inspected them when I took them off the truck too. I'm really surprised at how well the shocks straightened things out in the rear. Don't get me wrong however, the bilsteins are stiff shocks but they do a great job, nice balancing. Have any of you guys put rancho's up front with bilsteins in the back? Would anyone recommend AGAINST doing that?

Junior

Postby Junior » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:31 am

Anyone have any experience with either of these kits?

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/deluxe- ... -5842.html

OR

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/deluxe- ... -5843.html

Seems like a relatively affordable way of replacing the shocks and getting 2" of lift.
Just wondering if 'affordable=crap' in these sorts of kits.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:25 am

Junior wrote:Anyone have any experience with either of these kits?

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/deluxe- ... -5842.html

OR

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/deluxe- ... -5843.html

Seems like a relatively affordable way of replacing the shocks and getting 2" of lift.
Just wondering if 'affordable=crap' in these sorts of kits.
Several forum members have used/are using the 2nd setup. I wasn't able to get my rear alignment dialed in correctly as the spring seemed to be 1/2" too tall. The Bilsteins up front were fine, but if you live in a salt-the-road friendly area of the country, they'll get corroded quickly underneath the boot. I recently changed my suspension from the $440 deluxe suspension package to Radflo coilovers up front and Rancho spacers in the rear (with the stock springs and Airlift bags). I wouldn't recommend the AC Deluxe package to anyone. Do a search and you'll read problems that several owners have had with this set up. Good luck.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”