replaced fuel sender and now won't start

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

keefer0

replaced fuel sender and now won't start

Postby keefer0 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Hey everyone. I've been reading the posts and figured out I had a bad fuel sender unit. I purchased one and went to do the replace myself today. Took me 4 hours as some of the clamps were difficult to remove. After removing the tank completely and replacing the sender unit, then putting the fuep pump back in the tank and putting the tank back under the car, I know have a different problem.

My Pathfinder now cranks and cranks, but doesn't start. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Could I have messed up the fuel pump? It has 82,000 miles on it. Could I have messed up the wires to the fuel pump as that was the last thing I unhooked before the tank would drop?

Thanks for your help.

jpar

Postby jpar » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Is there a return line on a PF? Is it possible you reversed the supply and return?

keefer0

Postby keefer0 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:48 pm

I figured it out. I had to drop the tank again and the electrical plug to the fuel pump came unplugged. I must have only half plugged it in. This time I made sure it was plugged and before completely strapping the tank back, I plugged everything in and IT WORKED. It took me 4 hours to drop the tank the first time, but only 35 minutes the second time. But replaced fuel sender unit and it's working. And I do not have a mechanical bone in my body, but thanks to you guys here explaining how to do it.

Have a good one.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:57 pm

keefer,

It is awsome that you did it yourself and claim to not having a mechanical bone in your body. Your experience is encouraging because I might be changing mine in the next week or two. Any advise for Do-It-Yourself'ers?

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:08 pm

Plug it in! Lol

keefer0

Postby keefer0 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:27 pm

BMXPath wrote:keefer,

It is awsome that you did it yourself and claim to not having a mechanical bone in your body. Your experience is encouraging because I might be changing mine in the next week or two. Any advise for Do-It-Yourself'ers?
Once you read the notes here and view some videos of changing fuel pumps on youtube, it almost becomes self explanatory. It's a matter of jacking the car up high enough because to change the sender you will definitely have to remove the fuel tank completely. Take your time and you will see what's connected and needs to be disconnected. Not all that difficult, but will take 4 hours if you are by yourself.

I found some music and bourbon helped :)

Good Luck

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:53 pm

Tonight is my turn, I bought the new sender from the Dealer last week. I have had the sender problem since last November, enough is enough. I will update tomorrow on the ease/ difficulty of the job.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Done!

It wasnt too bad. Took me about 3 hours with the use of a shop lift. No special tools needed, just some patience. Btw, the link to the service manual was VERY helpful.

Here are a few tips for anyone willing to do this themselves...

1. Have your tank as empty as possible. I think I had about 3 gallons left in there. It wasnt very heavy but the remaining fuel sloshed around while I was manouvering the tank around. It made for some exciting close calls to dropping the whole thing.
2. Drop the drive shaft. It gives you much better access and even some head room if you are standing under it.
3. Remove the left rear tire. Allows pretty easy access to the fuel lines to disconnect that go to the filler.
4. Pay attention to the fuel line retainer clips. They are pretty easy to remove, but also easy to damage.

Oh yeah, dont forget to disconnect the battery! I think this is a must since you are messing with the fuel system.

The replacement sensor is pretty much a "plug and play". I didnt have to reset anything. I had disconnected the battery for the job so the check engine light was gone afterwards anyway. It is sooo nice to have it work properly again! Mine had gone bad last November.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:51 pm

I found some music and bourbon helped :)

:arrow: LMAO :lol: This is why he had problems with plugging the unit back in, BUUURP!

nikko7mge

Postby nikko7mge » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 pm

I'm having the same problem, no starting after replacing the sending unit. I can hear the pump running when I switch the key to the on position. What could be the problem? Too much air in the system?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”