Water pump failure

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

HillbillyJake

Water pump failure

Postby HillbillyJake » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:41 am

I was driving to work this morning and I came across a young lady broke down. I stopped to check and see if she was ok and if I could help. After looking at the truck about 30 seconds the problem was obvious. the fan and output shaft was laying against the rad and the belt had come off. after about 10 minutes her boyfriend showed up and we proceeded to take all of the plastic and the fan shroud off to expose the water pump. after we done all of that and was able to get a good look at things I was able to determine that the plastic bearing inside of the water pump broke. the odd thing to me is that there was no antifreeze lost. has anybody else heard of this happening? are the backs of the pumps sealed in a way that when the output shaft came out it is still sealed? I am curious because I have not seen this happen before.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Water pump failure

Postby disallow » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:30 pm

HillbillyJake wrote:I was driving to work this morning and I came across a young lady broke down. I stopped to check and see if she was ok and if I could help. After looking at the truck about 30 seconds the problem was obvious. the fan and output shaft was laying against the rad and the belt had come off. after about 10 minutes her boyfriend showed up and we proceeded to take all of the plastic and the fan shroud off to expose the water pump. after we done all of that and was able to get a good look at things I was able to determine that the plastic bearing inside of the water pump broke. the odd thing to me is that there was no antifreeze lost. has anybody else heard of this happening? are the backs of the pumps sealed in a way that when the output shaft came out it is still sealed? I am curious because I have not seen this happen before.
This happened on another Pathy?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”