Installing the AirLift 1000

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

pauljygrant

Postby pauljygrant » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:08 am

All,
I purchased from MICHIGAN TRUCK SPRING and including postage to Australia was under $150 AUS including postage...compared to over $300 AUS locally!
Still in the box but hopefully will get time in the next week or so to fit them.
Happy to recommend MICHIGAN TRUCK SPRING based on my experience.
Paul

PapaRomeo51

Postby PapaRomeo51 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:21 pm

I installed the Airlift 1000 Kit today. Nothing to it, took about an hour and a half from start to clean up. I installed them to help prevent body roll more than anything. I can tell that it helped to control the roll in the rear and I also discovered that it keeps the rear from squatting down when accelerating from a stop. The ride feels very stable driving down the road, more then it did before. The rear stills rolls if you cut the wheel left and then right, but recovers quickly now. I have 10 psi in the bags now and will try different pressures to see what works best for me. So far, I'm glad I made the purchase and would recommend them.

hfrez

Towing up to 6000lbs wihtout Weight Distribution Hitch?

Postby hfrez » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:09 am

Just bought mine at http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ and only paid $80.90 w/ free shipping. With all the good information here I'm looking forward to the install and the feel of the ride. I have a 25 ft 5900lbs Travel Trailer that I will need to tow but have not done so yet.
Does anyone tow above the 5000lbs mark without using the weight distribution hitch? Are the Air Lift bags sufficient in towing up to 6000lbs? I would love some feedback on this if I could.

Baedarlboo

Postby Baedarlboo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:17 am

I got mine in also, but I'm a little reserved about using the T-fitting tying the two bags together. Yes it makes airing up easier with just one fitting, but if it's tied together, the air would travel between the two bags. So if you were in a right turn, the right bag would compress sending more air to the left causing the left to lift. Seems counter intuitive....at least in the handling department. Anyone have any insights on this?

Baedarlboo

Postby Baedarlboo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:06 pm

I installed mine today...fairly easy install. I however did not use the T-fitting. I have mine running as individual bags, but left the lines long enough to connect them later as an option. I would have tested both setups, but it started to rain as I was wrapping up. The pathy feels much better in turns and accelerating from a stop. I have mine set right now to 10.5 psi as I'm anticipating a psi or 2 drop.

Tips: Like stated previously,

1, Connect the line to the bag first before squeezing it into the springs. If you do one side at a time, you can run the line and make the cut before it's time to do the other side.

2. Blow it (max air pressure) up before you drop the truck back down so the bag can set (and check for leaks). Once dropped let most of the air out, drive around the block, then air it back up to your liking.

3. Have more zip-ties ready as the 6 they provide wasn't enough (at least for me).

4. Have some safety glasses on as dirt in the eye is not fun.

5. Always remember safety. Use jack stands, e-brake, chocks....ect ect.
I don't want to hear about a pathy owner in the hospital (or 6 feet under) because they got pancaked by the truck.

6. Test drive and enjoy. Pop a beer open and enjoy your work (at home of course).

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:01 pm

Can anyone repost the original pictures? Looks like they have been moved.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Damn photobucket!!!! There are no pictures!!

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:38 am

volvite wrote:Can anyone repost the original pictures? Looks like they have been moved.
Ditto!

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Well, I put mine in today. Was easy enough. I did the same as Baedarlboo. I ran two lines and drilled two holes next to my 7Pin on the same bracket. Fits nicely. I have some picks that I would like to post just got to figure out how. I'm also running 12psi and it makes a difference in starts and turns. I love the way it handles right now.

My advice is to follow the directions and take off the tires when you do it. It makes a world of difference and I was able to shove the bag in without any tools. Watch the video on U-Tube and you will see how easy it is. I had to flatten the bag first and then folded it in half. The spring is huge and has a lot of clearance.

Good Luck and congratulations to your choice in buying the AirLift 1000.

Last edited by hfrez on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks for the pictures. Looks real nice.

PapaRomeo51

Postby PapaRomeo51 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:44 pm

I had installed the Airlift 1000 bags and I used the Y connector. I decided to run the bags independently of each other to see if it made a diffence in the handling. It was a big difference and was what I hoped to accomplish when I installed the bags. The bags did dampen the side roll when joined together, but not as effective as now that they are on idividual air lines. I would recommend running the bags indipendently if improved handling is what you are looking for.

found

Postby found » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:58 am

I will be installing my set today :-) hopefully have some pics later, eventually i want to install an air tank (maybe 1-2gal) with a compressor style regulator. that way i just put 125psi in the tank and the regulator will keep the bags at what ever psi i set it at. there for eliminating the need for the expensive on board air compressor.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:11 pm

A $30 electric airpump works pretty good for me. There's a lighter plug in the cargo area.

found

Postby found » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:29 am

I installed my set last week and have put about 500 mi on them. All i have to say is everyone was 100% right about the difference it makes even when not loaded. Thanks to everyone on this forum who has put input in about this mod, it is worth 10 times as much as i paid for the springs.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:11 am

PapaRomeo51 wrote:I had installed the Airlift 1000 bags and I used the Y connector. I decided to run the bags independently of each other to see if it made a diffence in the handling. It was a big difference and was what I hoped to accomplish when I installed the bags. The bags did dampen the side roll when joined together, but not as effective as now that they are on idividual air lines. I would recommend running the bags indipendently if improved handling is what you are looking for.
I just switched mine over this weekend to separate valves and it was a HUGE improvement. Surprised how much better the ride is as well.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”