Towing my humungous camper

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

CAMO

Postby CAMO » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:44 am

CPLTECH

trailer brake circuit

Postby CPLTECH » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:03 pm

05Pathfinder wrote: I have a question for you. I have never towed before and I am looking into buying a used utility trailer. What will I need to purchase for the lights to work with my 05 Path Se?
It has been my impression that all(?) 2005 & up PathFinders have a trailer hitch. Look to the left of it and you should see a 4 pin trailer connector that should be live (may have a plastic cover to protect it from the elements). Now what is an option (depending on model) is a 7 pin for campers and/or utility trailers with electric brakes and then add a brake controller of your choice. Most utility trailers do not come with brakes. U-Haul uses surge brakes to avoid the controller issue.

My local RV dealer had an adapter harness that plugged into the PF pre-wired connector under the dash for the brake controller. Fortunately mine was hot for the 12V supply “input” to the controller but not “output” which necessitated a single heavy wire run back to the 7 pin connector. To save time, they also sell a 7pin with a 4pin connector on it that plugs into the PF 4pin already there, to provide power to the brake lights. Nice.

According to the wiring diagrams, the trailer brake lighting circuit is run through a separate relay than the vehicles own brake lights. That means no heavy duty flasher relay required as in the old days of trailering.

gadget1382

Postby gadget1382 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:58 pm

Aussie tow bars do have the 2" square hole for the various hitches.

But ours is mounted similar to the how it is done in Europe, using the 6 bolts.

So i think the attachment method of the tow ball hitch is good. BUT how the 2" mount actually fixes to the car needs to be beefed up.

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks for the info. The trailer im looking at is a simple 4*8 with no brakes so theoretically it should come with a basic 4 pin that will marry up with my stock wiring?

Should I get a hitch adapter that lowers a little bit since its such a small trailer like this

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

Thanks

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:37 pm

05Pathfinder wrote:Thanks for the info. The trailer im looking at is a simple 4*8 with no brakes so theoretically it should come with a basic 4 pin that will marry up with my stock wiring?
Wiring is per standard on all trailers unless someone "did it his way".

As for hitch height, try to keep the trailer closer to level, if possible.
Here in the lower 48, seems that places like PepBoys or Harbor Freight have those in the $16-25 range plus $8-10 for a ball, so price around. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... lt?q=hitch

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:04 pm

05Pathfinder wrote:Thanks for the info. The trailer im looking at is a simple 4*8 with no brakes so theoretically it should come with a basic 4 pin that will marry up with my stock wiring?

Should I get a hitch adapter that lowers a little bit since its such a small trailer like this

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

Thanks
If you have a Princess Auto close to you, they are usually half the price of Canadian Tire.

You are correct, with no brake booster, aux power, or running lights requirements, you don't need the 7 pin plug, the 4 pin is plenty good.

The 7 pin adapter is available from Nissan for a pretty reasonable amount. Still requires some modification, adding a ground etc. I actually had mine installed at a place that specializes in trailer hitches, and thats where I got my WDH as well.

t

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:49 pm

So I bought a nice little utility trailer and I have one last question.

The hitch on the pathfinder is about 19'' off the ground and the trailer sits level at about 8''.

How critical is it if I cant get a hitch to drop down to be perfectly level?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:52 pm

05Pathfinder wrote:So I bought a nice little utility trailer and I have one last question.

The hitch on the pathfinder is about 19'' off the ground and the trailer sits level at about 8''.

How critical is it if I cant get a hitch to drop down to be perfectly level?
Depends how heavy the load is. I would try to get it as level as possible, meaning you'll have to get a pretty decent drop on your hitch ball.

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Well thanks everyone for the advice. I bought a small 4*6 utility trailer and an adjustable height trailer hitch to make it sit level. It works great.

Thanks

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”