Thinking on a 2008 SE 5.6

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

tights24

Thinking on a 2008 SE 5.6

Postby tights24 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:07 am

I am currently a Titan owner so at a minimum I am familiar with the 5.6. I have a few questions and i hope this is a better place than the "new member" section since I am not an owner yet.

1. What is the experience with fair market value on these trucks with ~50K on them. This one in particular is SE trim level with no leather or anything extra from what I can tell.

2. Transmission, front end, rear end issues with the 5.6 in these things? My Titan is an 05 so I've been through the gamut of leaky axle seals, rear diff cover, etc.

3. Can I expect fuel mileage to be equal to my truck? I don't have big tow gears so with the 2.94's, I can get about 16-17mpg when not driving "spirited" per se.

4. Any problems as a whole with the 08MY pathy regardless of engine version.

Thanks for any and all replies.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:24 am

Suspension is probably the least favorite. I've put work into it...will keep plugging away. It tends to jump around when hitting big bumps, particularly frost heaves. There's a bunch of threads around here on that. Handling is sloppy and rear-end droops. My HVAC is flaky. Otherwise with 50k I've not had any real problems. From what i've seen the 4.0L holds value better but it fluxuates. My buddy has a dealership so I look up auction values every once in awhile. Recent auction prices for mine ('08 SE, 50k miles) was in the $19k-20k range. V8 models were in the $18-19k range. If fuel prices keep dropping they'll likely rebound a bit....we're so short sighted when it comes to gas guzzlers in this country!

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Thinking on a 2008 SE 5.6

Postby disallow » Thu May 19, 2011 6:55 am

tights24 wrote:I am currently a Titan owner so at a minimum I am familiar with the 5.6. I have a few questions and i hope this is a better place than the "new member" section since I am not an owner yet.

1. What is the experience with fair market value on these trucks with ~50K on them. This one in particular is SE trim level with no leather or anything extra from what I can tell.

2. Transmission, front end, rear end issues with the 5.6 in these things? My Titan is an 05 so I've been through the gamut of leaky axle seals, rear diff cover, etc.

3. Can I expect fuel mileage to be equal to my truck? I don't have big tow gears so with the 2.94's, I can get about 16-17mpg when not driving "spirited" per se.

LIKE!

Would love to upgrade from the 4.0 to a 5.6. Have heard fuel economy isn't much worse, most of our driving is on the highway too. Would give a little boost in towing power, which would be great.

Its too bad they don't offer the v8 in models here in canada. I think the only year you can get is a 2008, and in LE trim only.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu May 19, 2011 11:45 am

I have an 08 LE with the 5.6. Love it. I've only had it for 3 months, and of that I only drove it for 2 weeks as I deployed. My wife has been driving the wheels off it while I've been gone. She has not complained at all and tells me all the time, she's glad we bought it before I left. It's stock, but I do plan to upgrade a few things on it when I return. I do some towing and will be looking into the airlift bags for the springs. From the looks, only 100 bucks and my time. Not bad. When we bought ours, it only had 18K miles on it. Not much at all, but a plus was it's a Nissan CPO. I didn't want to worry about the wife while I was gone. I think mpg is right around 16-17 overall with a mix of both highway/city. Not bad, but I've had worse. The V8s are harder to find, but it's what I wanted and glad I have it. It will be even better come hunting season. :twisted:

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:35 pm

had my '08 v8 4x4 since early nov '10 and i love it. the gas mileage sucks (i came from a v6 car that could get 28 hwy), but i still love it.

i got it with 23k on it and i just hit 36k. i've taken it to colorado for a snowboarding trip with two other adults and one child. everything -barely- fit (including snowboards) without using a roof/trailer rack. next time i will have a rack to at least put the snowboards on since they took up the most room. i think we got ~18-19mpg. it did wonderfully in the light/medium snowy roads, even with stock tires (bfg long trail ms).

the 2wd-auto-4wdH-4wdL option is freakin awesome for someone like me who likes to get the rear end out (with traction control off) a little every now and then. 2wd is like any other rwd sports car. it can get real squirrely -real- fast. however the auto mode is fantastic for people like me. doing a left hand turn from a stop sign in the rain with auto will let the rear start to slide out, but engages the front at just the right moment to pull you out before you hit that 'oh crap i'm going to lose it' point. it does take some getting used to, but once you get it, it's a blast. the girlfriend doesn't like it too much though :) (on a side note i'd say i'm pretty responsible with horsing around, i don't do it when there are other cars near) otherwise with traction control on i hardly take it out of 2wd.

i love love love the power the engine puts out. this is also why my regular city gas mileage is so crappy though, i have a hard time keeping my foot out of the accelerator. but every time i punch it, i get a smile on my face.

i did have a valve related to the egr system go bad, but it was before i hit 36k. i also opted for the 100k nissan extended warranty, just in case.

i have noticed that the front rotors are starting to warp. i get the shakes in the steering wheel when braking, but the early warping may be attributed to my aggressive driving style.

you do get the 'tire walk' when going over hard bumps. this is a body on frame construction, so it's more rigid/rugged than other suv's. handling is washy at higher speeds, but come on, this is a 6500lb suv, not a race car.

ac seems fine to me (we've had 12+ days of over 100F temps here in dallas), but it seems if you have the rear ac on, the front ac doesn't cool -as- quickly. i'm guessing the rear uses the same freon lines as the front, and maybe the ac radiator can't handle both at the same time when both are on full blast?

the heated steering wheel is kind of nice in the winter, but it seems to surge up to 100F when it's first on. then it pulses up to about 80F after that.

i like that the 2nd row seats recline a little. i have no use for the 3rd row at all. i do keep the 3rd row up so i can keep my laptop bag from sliding around everywhere, but it's -hella- annoying that you have to put the 2nd row seats in their upright positions in order to put the 3rd row seats down. after they're down the 2nd row can recline again, until you want to put the 3rd row back up again.

ok, i think that's it! hope this helps if it's not too late.

fastgixx

Postby fastgixx » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:03 pm

this truck puts a smile on my face everytime i get in it and im used to riding sportbikes.... very fast for a truck....i like the ride... gas sucks but its worth it.... no probs at all at 40k

volvite
Sponsored Member

Re: Thinking on a 2008 SE 5.6

Postby volvite » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:39 pm

tights24 wrote:I am currently a Titan owner so at a minimum I am familiar with the 5.6. I have a few questions and i hope this is a better place than the "new member" section since I am not an owner yet.

Have not heard anything back from you. Have you decided to buy one yet? What was the outcome?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”