Towing big with the Path

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Mon May 23, 2011 6:46 am

Last edited by NYPathfinder on Mon May 23, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon May 23, 2011 7:00 pm

NYPathfinder wrote:picking up my parents boat from the shop that fixed it. I believe its a 24ft four winns.I could be wrong on the length.also not so sure on the overall weight but you can tell it was back there. When I picked it up the guys actually asked me if i was gonna use my truck to pull it.They didnt think i would be able to lol
Why didn't they think the path can tow the boat? What's the Four winns weigh?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon May 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Pretty sure that boat is over 5k. Plus the trailer, you were probably close.

t

marc515

Postby marc515 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:07 am

kazeej wrote:
kazeej wrote: I installed mine last night. Riding to work this morning, I did notice it to be a little firmer. Could be all in my head - just knowing it should feel different makes it feel different. We'll see how it does this weekend. We're going tent camping. We carry about 400 lbs of gear with us. The first time we took the Pathy, I noticed it kinda dragged its butt when I loaded all the gear in the back. We'll see how she does this time.
OK, so we went camping and, as promised, here’s my report on how the AirLift bags performed. I weighed everything before it went into the truck, so I would know how much weight I would be carrying. The total was 782 lbs. Adding two people put us right at the max load specification. I had 30 psi in the bags, and left the rear tires at the normal 34 psi. On the 250 mile trip up, I could feel that the truck weighed a lot more – braking distance had increased, acceleration was a little slower, etc. I noticed a little bit extra body roll when going around turns, and the rear end was a little soft, but overall, it just felt like a loaded truck.
For the trip back home, I raised the air bags to 35 psi, and the rear tires to 40 psi. The difference was remarkable. There was almost no leaning in turns, and the overall feel of the truck was much more stable.
The AirLift bags did a very nice job at leveling the truck and making it very stable, even when loaded at capacity. Probably the best $85.00 I’ve spent.
The next test will be when I tow my 17’ heavy pig of a bass boat. Stay tuned…
We have a 2011 Pathy, and plan to take trips with an R-Pod or MPG camper that has a GVWR of 3,800Lbs. Since we haven't got the camper yet, I don't know how much rear end sag I'll see, but was thinking about getting a WDH.

Will the air bags take the place of using a WDH?

07SECrownie

Postby 07SECrownie » Tue May 24, 2011 5:53 am

No they won't a WDH is a much better idea than bags. The air bags will support the weight but the WDH will distribute the weight correctly. The addition of both will definitely transform the PF for towing.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue May 24, 2011 6:17 am

I don't have the airbags yet, but can tell you that the airbags are not a substitute for a WDH. I've used WDH before and they are a life saver when towing big.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue May 24, 2011 6:23 am

I second what volvite says. Airbags help stabilize the rear end, but do not take the place of the functionality of the WDH setup, which actually transfers tongue weight rearward to the axles of the trailer, and stabilizes the link between the tow vehicle and trailer.

That being said, the bags just seem to make sense both for towing and everyday driving. Even better, for me anyways, would be some heavier duty springs, without lift (haven't found these anywhere, so air bags will have to do for now). I don't really want to change the center of gravity on my truck, but would love to stiffen the rear a little.

t

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:33 am

Getting ready to hook up. 2 horse trailer with a tack room. It belongs to a friend of ours who also have a horses at the barn with ours.

marc515

Postby marc515 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:45 am

volvite wrote:I don't have the airbags yet, but can tell you that the airbags are not a substitute for a WDH. I've used WDH before and they are a life saver when towing big.
I'm really don't think I'm "towing big". The MPG we got has a GVWR of 3,800 LBS.

I've had two RV dealers tell me they didn't think I really needed a WDH, and sway control would be all I needed; however, if I wanted one, the "E2" 600/6,000 would more than do the job.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:10 pm

marc515 wrote:
volvite wrote:I don't have the airbags yet, but can tell you that the airbags are not a substitute for a WDH. I've used WDH before and they are a life saver when towing big.
I'm really don't think I'm "towing big". The MPG we got has a GVWR of 3,800 LBS.

I've had two RV dealers tell me they didn't think I really needed a WDH, and sway control would be all I needed; however, if I wanted one, the "E2" 600/6,000 would more than do the job.
Yea no problem. I have not towed with my pathfinder yet, but my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V8 has a tow rating of 6800lbs. I've towed camper trailers close to that weight and one over that weight by mistake but a WDH was necessary. Sure made towing alot nicer.

theirturn

Postby theirturn » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:28 pm

I just registered on this forum to give HUGE thanks to RacerZX for posting this awesome detailed description. You saved me a whole lot of searching about the internets for answers I might never have found otherwise. Not to mention the time and money you saved me by posting photos and listing specific part numbers and links to even more info.

Thank you.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found the path.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:58 pm

New boat my parents bought. 24ft. Fully loaded its around 6300ish lbs.. A little over the tow rating but not something i tow everyday. The rear bags were only at 10psi. Was to lazy to fill them up. I had about a 30sih mile drive total with it.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:56 am

NICE

fronypony

load controller?

Postby fronypony » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:50 pm

I recently found this site and happy i did, lots of useful info on here. I am looking into getting the air lift 1000 bags also and i was wondering if anyone uses their bags with the "single gauge load control system" https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/single- ... -1239.html if so, where did you mount the guage? I have a 2wd and thought about putting it in the 'blank' area on the DIN where the 4wd dial would go. Any objections/thoughts on this? Should i even bother with the controller or is it easy enough to just fill the bags manually at the rear of the pathy when i tow. Thanks in advance

Return to “R51 General Chat”