Brake rotor/disk. WTF!!!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Cliff_Jumper

Brake rotor/disk. WTF!!!

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:33 pm

I changed my rotors a couple of months ago and just want to share with you guys/gals what I found when I took the rotors off. This is only on the back side of the rotors, hence the "surprise". 50% of the surface is rusted.

What could've of caused this. I live in the North East and the last couple of winters we had significant amount of snow. However, my other cars never had this problem. The rears are the same as well.

Here's the comparison of new and old.

Installed

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:55 pm

1. brake pads NEVER cover the entire surface of the disk. there will always be some surface at the inner radius and some surface at the outer radius that is not worn down by the pads.

2. because that material is not worn away by the pads, it just rusts. most brake disks are cast iron, so they rust instantly.

~mike

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:39 pm

That's probably par for the course on a six/seven year old vehicle. These do rust and that's a long time with salted roads.

That being said, the pads appeared to only be grabbing a very small portion of the disk. I just checked mine and they have nearly twice as much clean area. The outer edge only has about 1/8" of rust where the pad doesn't grab.

found

Postby found » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:06 am

I can concur, see that a lot from northern vehicles, although 9 times out of 10 it starts to get bad because of the caliper slid pins getting stuck. so make sure you have them lubed real good ;-)

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”