Gas leaking/spewing out on 2006 Nissan Pathfinder :-(

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Bruce_Lee

Gas leaking/spewing out on 2006 Nissan Pathfinder :-(

Postby Bruce_Lee » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:32 am

HI,
As some of you know, I recently purchased a used 2006 White Nissan Pathfinder over a month ago.

I've been driving this car as a daily driver since then after doing the 'radiator/transmission' bypass.

This morning, I parked near the Bart (train) station here in the Bay Area and when I got out of the car, there was strong smell of gasoline. At first I thought, and hoped, that it was from one of the other cars in the area. I went ahead and checked underneath the pathfinder any ways, just to make sure. Sure enough, there was gas leaking from the tank. The gasoline seemed to be coming from the top of the gas tank, just the way it was dripping, and not from the bottom. It seem like the entire gas tank was covered with gasoline (similar to when someone overfills a container). I only had about a 1/4 tank of gas so I know it wasn't because it was overfilled.
Now, I noticed that after a while, when the car/ignition was turned off, the dripping/leaking stopped. When I started the car, to see if I could make it back home, the car began to leak/gush gas again.

I called AAA and they towed it to a local shop. They told me they need to remove the tank and inspect the entire fuel line for damage/leaks. They said that if the fuel pump was (bad) the problem, I would have to get a new one for the price of $700+ :(

What do you guys think? Is the fuel pump that expensive? Again, this is a local shop and I was hoping they would give me a better price.

Note, after sitting there while waiting for the tow truck, I tried to start the car again but it wouldn't do anything. So then I knew that it wasn't getting any fuel, but the fuel gauge was still showing about 1/4 of fuel.

thanks,

BL.
Last edited by Bruce_Lee on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:49 am

There was an open recall for a fuel pump / sending unit on these cars. There is also an o ring seal ontop of the pump / sending unit. The thank can be empty and still show 1/4 tank.
Call the dealer with the vin & see if the recall still applys to your vehicle.

Bruce_Lee

Postby Bruce_Lee » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:08 am

Will call dealer about this and see what they have to say about it. :cry:

thanks,

BL.

Bruce_Lee

Postby Bruce_Lee » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Well, I did read many of the post regarding the 'Fuel Sending Unit', but my issue seems to be different. Gasoline leaks when the car is turned on.

From reading several posts, I learned that a nissan doesn't cover the Fuel Pump, only the sending unit.

I got a call from the local shop that has my pathfinder and they told me it was the fuel pump causing my problem. They said 'there is a broken/cracked' part and needs to be replaced for $700+. I don't know if I should trust them. This is a shop that I've never used before, but the AAA tow truck driver recommended. It was the only shop open at the time too.

I told them NOT to do it and waiting to hear from the Nissan dealer in my area. If it is not covered, then I will take it to my regular mechanic, whom I trust.

thanks,

BL.

gilliam433

Postby gilliam433 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:44 pm

I also have a 2006 Pathfinder. My fuel guage rarely reads an accurate reading (I.E. I will fill up the tank and the fuel light remains on). My System Check light is also on.

I called the Nissan dealer (this has been 5 months ago) and surprisingly he was nice and said that even though my vehicle didnt show it was qualified for the fuel sending recall, that if that was the issue they would fix it.

When I picked my car up they said they ran the test for the System Check Light and the Fuel Pump thing didnt show up. So I dont know whats up. Maybe I should try again or something.. Its kind of frustrating.

glockshooter

Postby glockshooter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:25 pm

I had a very comparable experience after changing out my fuel sending unit. If I remember right, the high pressure line coming off the fuel pump was loose, as in come apart in your hand loose. Tightened it up and all was good.

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:10 am

If I remember right from my days with Nissan, the updated recall part is a complete pump and sending unit assemblyl. Check Courticy Nissan on line & find out the part #. It is also possible for the high pressure hose to rot or come loose. Unfortunatly both repairs require draining & dropping the tank.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:01 am

NVRDONE wrote:If I remember right from my days with Nissan, the updated recall part is a complete pump and sending unit assemblyl. Check Courticy Nissan on line & find out the part #. It is also possible for the high pressure hose to rot or come loose. Unfortunatly both repairs require draining & dropping the tank.
there is no recall campaign on the fuel pump & sending unit
there is an extended warranty for the fuel level sending unit on specified year & models
the sending unit can be replaced without replacing the fuel pump
http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Fuel-Se ... php?menu=2

Bruce_Lee

Postby Bruce_Lee » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:17 am

"there is no recall campaign on the fuel pump & sending unit
there is an extended warranty for the fuel level sending unit on specified year & models
the sending unit can be replaced without replacing the fuel pump
http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Fuel-Se ... php?menu=2"

Hi,
Thanks for all your replies. I got my car fixed on Saturday.

My mechanic had to remove the gas tank to find that the fuel pump was damaged. One of the nozzles (with the smaller diameter opening) had broken off and so the fuel was leaking/dripping out all over the top of the gas tank.

He feels that someone tried to 'yank it off' by force because these are hard to break. Any ways, the damage was verified. I had him put a new one in for $450 USD for the part only. I also had him replace the 'fuel sending unit' since he had the parts off.

I did call the Nissan dealer and was told that it is NOT a recall, but a TSB. They did state that it was an 'extended warranty' and that because of the mileage of my car (over 80K), I didn't qualify for it.
:cry:

I ended up paying over $750 USD for the repairs. I hope this is the only and last issue I'll have with this vehicle. :cry:

thanks,

BL.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Bruce_Lee wrote:I hope this is the only and last issue I'll have with this vehicle. :cry:
I feel your pain, but seriously? Any vehicle will have stuff go wrong with it. Thats why we have this forum. Its either that or a bus pass! :)

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:02 am

The fuel pump is inside the fuel tank, so I don't see how it could cause gas to leak all over the top of the fuel tank? The fuel sender unit is actually the part with the hose connections on it, so it would make sense that it would need a fuel sender...but not a pump.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”