this truck

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

nutbar78

this truck

Postby nutbar78 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Really boogies. 45mph, getting ready to pass. Hit the gas kick it down one, 5k on the tach and I'm gone. I've only had this truck for a month now and this truck suprises me with how quick it is. Yes you do have to push it, but when you do she boogies.

Just my thought for the night.

redwing

Postby redwing » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:52 am

I was surprised how fast the pathy was to. I thought you were going to say how much you like the new Chevy coming out..I think it's sweet looking

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:22 am

One of the reasons I bought this was for the passing performance. It's among the best out there in a reasonable priced SUV. I drive 60 miles of rural state-route every day with lots of hills/curves and truck traffic (overloaded coal buckets mainly). If you don't get around them in the short passing zones you'll be climbing the next hill at 20mph :x Best passing performance is to drop it to 2nd (usually at 45-50mph) ahead of the pass and you can run that up to around 80mph in a few short seconds. For most passes I just let the auto do its thing because it shifts pretty quick. But if I really need to put the hammer down (like friday...knocked off two cars and a coal bucket in one short passing zone) I go the manual route. I'll usually slap it back into auto mode around 80mph and it will upshift and keep climbing.

Now if I can just get the suspension where I want it....

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:38 am

redwing wrote:I was surprised how fast the pathy was to. I thought you were going to say how much you like the new Chevy coming out..I think it's sweet looking

What is it? Is this the midsize truck that may be coming with the turbo diesel?

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:43 am

skinny2 wrote: Best passing performance is to drop it to 2nd (usually at 45-50mph) ahead of the pass and you can run that up to around 80mph in a few short seconds.
You know I think she did go down 2 gears actually, I guess 1 wouldn't really send the revs up that high.

Skinny2 you've got some nice vehicles in your line up I see, especially the Cummikns Ram. Is that a dually? I have a slight obsession with turbo diesel trucks, especially the 2nd gen Rams with the 12 valve motor. Theres just something about them, too bad the truck doesn't last like the motor.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:50 am

as long as we're talking bout trucks, i love this one: (still loyal to Pathy though)

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:05 am

nutbar78 wrote:
skinny2 wrote: Best passing performance is to drop it to 2nd (usually at 45-50mph) ahead of the pass and you can run that up to around 80mph in a few short seconds.
You know I think she did go down 2 gears actually, I guess 1 wouldn't really send the revs up that high.

Skinny2 you've got some nice vehicles in your line up I see, especially the Cummikns Ram. Is that a dually? I have a slight obsession with turbo diesel trucks, especially the 2nd gen Rams with the 12 valve motor. Theres just something about them, too bad the truck doesn't last like the motor.
Dropping the tranny over to manual mode will automatically downshift one gear from where you are in auto mode. So normally I'm stuck behind someone going 50-55 and I'm in 5th. If I hammer the pedal it will go straight to 2nd gear but there's a slight lull before you really take off. Slapping the shifter over and bumping it twice takes me to 2nd and the revs come up and its immediately ready to boogie once the coast is clear. It's a pretty good rush for such a big vehicle. It will do 80 in 2nd pretty easily but I'm not positive the exact rpm...it just starts to slow down from pulling at that point so it needs and upshift. I have a lot of very short passing zones so hammering on it is necessary.

As for the Dodge, it is a dually and has been a terrific rig. Over 240k miles almost all of which were towing 12,000-20,000#. 180k were put on the first four years. Had a few things here and there but honestly it's still super solid. I can't complain about either the Cummins or the truck. This is my 3rd Ram diesel. The first was a '97 that had typical transmission issues. The '01 went 120k miles without a problem and then I upgraded to the dually in '03. The new ones scare me and realistically I don't need a dually anymore...or even a diesel for that matter. I've considered going to a new Ram 1500 as a daily-driver and not even needing two vehicles but the passing/handling/mpg of the PF is better. If the PF starts giving me issues I may go that route but so far it has been solid through 55k miles.

redwing

Postby redwing » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:11 am

Morpheus5000

Postby Morpheus5000 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:32 pm

...too much plastics or i say wrong?

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:09 pm

mansertet wrote:i love those pick up trucks. You need to get good insurance to take care of your truck. Get affordable insurance from this quote website
Here is another one. We are being SPAMMED now.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:08 pm

nutbar78 wrote:
mansertet wrote:i love those pick up trucks. You need to get good insurance to take care of your truck. Get affordable insurance from this quote website
Here is another one. We are being SPAMMED now.
these days, i'm deleting 8 - 10 per day. this one must have slipped sorry.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:34 am

Now just imagine you had a K&N FIPK like I have. When you hit 3600RPM you really get nailed back into your seat. The dino shows that in 3rd gear you are accessing another 14 HP that you did not have before.
I bought my truck because it is one of only a few that can tow 6000lbs with its V6. It has the same HP then my 2002 F150 Lariat V8; however, it has a5th gear and much better MPG (I get 17.2mpg in part due to the K&N). I'm really satisfied with the Pathy.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:58 am

hfrez wrote:Now just imagine you had a K&N FIPK like I have. When you hit 3600RPM you really get nailed back into your seat. The dino shows that in 3rd gear you are accessing another 14 HP that you did not have before.
I bought my truck because it is one of only a few that can tow 6000lbs with its V6. It has the same HP then my 2002 F150 Lariat V8; however, it has a5th gear and much better MPG (I get 17.2mpg in part due to the K&N). I'm really satisfied with the Pathy.
Is that dino number you're quoting from K&N? I notice they say 14hp at 5,000 rpm. I'm curious what it is at lower rpms. The stock motor also becomes a bit of a rocket above 3500. I might spend $300 on a true 14hp improvement...but not if it's 5hp until 5,000 rpm. Plus I'm not a fan of oiled filters but again...14hp I might swing it. I'm out of warranty at this point anyway.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:01 am

The Dino Chart can be accessed through K&N at this URL: http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-6014_dyno.pdf

It shows that a 4.0L 2005 Frontier gained around 8-12HP from about 3700RPM upward until it hits about 4900 and it peaks out at 14.27HP at 5075RPM.

But that is not all you get from the K&N FIPK. You will feel a much better throttle response from stand still and you can feel the engine breathing much better. I'm also getting 0.7 MPG better millage. I only paid $245 for mine.

I'm not sure why some folks have a problem with oil based filters but I can tell you from experience that I had a similar K&N setup on my F150 for 7 years and I got 93000miles out of it before I sold it. I cleaned it every 10000 miles and never had any problems with it. That is one of the reasons I bought it again for the Pathfinder I just bought.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:14 am

Thanks for the link, that's a lot more helpful than what they were quoting on the product page.

My problem with the oiled filters is the amount of filtering. When I've run them in the past on my diesels, the oil samples have always jumped in silicates after switching. Granted it's still within the tolerances, but more is more. In both cases I switched out after awhile and the silicates dropped. Good enough evidence for me. I was only running them for cost savings over paper filters. I've also never noticed any change in performance or mpg with the drop-ins. I'm still skeptical of a mpg jump even with the FIPK so I personally wouldn't count on it. Your jump could just be from the enging breaking in, but that's just speculation given the low miles. Mine is pretty much locked in at 18.5-19mpg with my typical commute and that's over 60k miles. The only thing that so far has changed my mpg has been installing new tires solid 1mpg hit) but it slowly crawled back up after about 10k miles.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”