Wont start with a twist

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

AEC

Wont start with a twist

Postby AEC » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:51 pm

My 06 is driving me nuts!!! I have an intermittent issue.
Vehicle has 70,000 miles on it. Never had an issue other then the fuel sending unit problem...

Recently it has been doing the following intermittently:
First try very slow crank
next try cranks great! but just cranks wont start, while it is doing this the gauges all peg low and kind of vibrate below zero, it does this for 2-3 tries and then starts just fine, but all my trip data (trip a, trip b, fuel mileage, dte) are reset. Also since this started I have had both VDC and Slip lights stay on intermittently as well.

No check engine light but I did get a code of P1614, which is the Key chip. I only noticed once that the little key light on the dash was solid the last time the issue came up.

Could the key security chip cause all that or am I looking at a bigger problem?

Thanks

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:02 am

might be the immobilizer. it senses the programmed key and sends a signal to the computer to allow the vehicle to start. you might want to have that checked to be sure.

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:26 am

The same thing happened with my 05. I brought it in and it needed a new battery. It would never start on the first crank but the second it usually did. Same symptoms but usually started on the second try. So maybe get your battery check and see if it's at the correct voltage.

Good luck!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:53 am

Rebel wrote:The same thing happened with my 05. I brought it in and it needed a new battery. It would never start on the first crank but the second it usually did. Same symptoms but usually started on the second try. So maybe get your battery check and see if it's at the correct voltage.

Good luck!
yep! :wink:
also check for loose/corroded battery terminals & cables & and clamps, and battery fluid level
if it's the original battery, it has probably outlived its' usefulness

AEC

Postby AEC » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:03 pm

I am having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the thought that a battery would cause the Anti theft chip in the key not be recognized. The battery is putting out 13.2 volts, all the cells are good, I don't have an inline ammeter to test the cranking amps delivered, however it turns the car over at a good pace it just doesn't fire.

it started just fine today, but for the first few seconds of iddle all needles pegged low and vibrated ...

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:38 pm

AEC wrote:I am having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the thought that a battery would cause the Anti theft chip in the key not be recognized. The battery is putting out 13.2 volts, all the cells are good, I don't have an inline ammeter to test the cranking amps delivered, however it turns the car over at a good pace it just doesn't fire.

it started just fine today, but for the first few seconds of iddle all needles pegged low and vibrated ...
just my opinion.........
i still surmise that your battery is on the verge of failure
enough power to spin the engine, not enough to fire the ignition.......
AEC wrote:for the first few seconds of iddle all needles pegged low and vibrated ...
weak battery symptom, after which the alternator takes over and provides enough power to supply the guages and recharge the battery somewhat
what about your cables, clamps, and battery connectors?
poor or loose conditions can cause all of the symptoms that you have mentioned........
sincerely doubt that yourAnti theft chip has anything to do with any of this
BTW: is this mainly a cold or hot start problem?

AEC

Postby AEC » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:19 pm

It does not seam to be hot or cold, just when ever it feels like doing it...

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:30 pm

AEC wrote:I am having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the thought that a battery would cause the Anti theft chip in the key not be recognized. The battery is putting out 13.2 volts, all the cells are good, I don't have an inline ammeter to test the cranking amps delivered, however it turns the car over at a good pace it just doesn't fire.

AEC

My 06 did the same thing...I checked the battery and found 2 cells were dry. Filled them back up, charged the battery overnight and fixed my problem.

AEC

Postby AEC » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:14 pm

I have been an Aircraft Electrician for 15 years, and I would have never ever thought that the battery was weak given the speed it turned the engine over. That starting motor drays at least twice the current the computer and ignition system does... But I was wrong!!! Thanks for all the advise and for continuing to tell me what the problem was even as I denied it!!!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:07 pm

AEC wrote:I have been an Aircraft Electrician for 15 years, and I would have never ever thought that the battery was weak given the speed it turned the engine over. That starting motor drays at least twice the current the computer and ignition system does... But I was wrong!!! Thanks for all the advise and for continuing to tell me what the problem was even as I denied it!!!
glad you found the problem :D
thanks for letting us know :)

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”