taars

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Fofiddy

taars

Postby Fofiddy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:18 am

Ok so I'm about to roll up on 27k and I noticed something; I need new tires before the snow starts falling here in New England. Now I just have the base XE which suited me fine the last two winters (yes I had to have it in Dec 04) regarless of the crappy General Tiger Paws 245/70 R16s.
Well time is approaching and I figured I'd get a few more opinions on tires.
I don't go wheeling anymore like I used to so a dedicated set of MTs isn't in the cards although I would like to up the size to a 265/75 R16s
I've personally always been a huge fan Of Toyo's Open country ATs, I put 2 sets on my departed Jeep ZJ.
The thing is alot of new products have come out since I last went shopping for shoes, and my priorties have shifted as well.
Primary I want great road feel and turn in over reasonably quiet ride.
I do tow the toys around and I tow them offroad. Also when the parking bans kick into effect I'm going to have to be able to plow through 7-24" of snow (not including the plowed in banks) just to get off the lawn since I'll have to give my off street parking spot up to my GF's car.
I drive like a maniac so I don't expect the tires to go much over 45k but I would consider it a waste of money if they didn't make 40k.
Anyone have any feedback on the Fortera, Yoko's, Pirrelli's, Or Kuhmos?
Better yet anyone take the plunge for some Green Diamond tires? www.greendiamondtire.com

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:30 am

Just my 2 cents, but I had Pirelli scorpians on my old ZJ and they lasted a long time. Plus you can get an E load rating for hauling. You might lose a little in mileage but the solid feel and ability sounds like what you are looking for. People I have talked to said the yoko's only last around 30k, but handle well. Not much else to contribute. Good luck.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:03 pm

I've read that about the Yokos in reviews, half the people say they wear well the other half say they wear horribly. Taken in consideration driving style and wheelbase and all that other jazz it can it go either way. I had the ZJ with the 318 ci LA block meaning that stupid f-ing AWD was the only way you could get them. I had a set of Cooper HTs that stuck around for 30k my first set of Toyos lasted 45k before a sidewall flat (construction area state liability limited) looked like they had another 5k left on them, and the ZJ died wearing the last set (death by senile people veering out of thier lane to head on with me). Considering the V8 torque, AWD, and at the time my extreemly aggressive driving style (4 wheels drifts through state forests) I was really impressed with them. I didn't tow two much but I did have to pull a buddies F250 that was bellied up on a rock and the only place I could pull from was a tilted uphill in a gravel and mud sauce, I was amazed I didn't get stuck let alone pulling a heavier vehicle out of a jam. To be honest I love the look of the Toyos ATs (MTs look great too), that was my primary deciding factor at the time. I did lose a little mpg going from the coopers to the Toyos but they made up for it in the steering feel, wet, and snow.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”