my new project

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

crowjane

my new project

Postby crowjane » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:19 am

hi everyone. im a 25 year old female who recently got into auto mechanics. ive always been interested in mechanics and have been pretty mechanically minded since i was very young. i just never bought my own car until a year ago, i did a lot of work on it. I wont tell you what kind of car is was to save myself embarassment ;)

I just moved to new hampshire and needed a 4x4. So I bought a 5sp 4x4 1990 nissan pathfinder SEV6.

I bought it for 900 bucks. It needs a lot of work. Im new to mechanics but enjoy learning, Im sure i will be coming here for advice and help fairly frequently.

Im hoping I didn't screw myself. 900 bucks and its drivable. but not inspectable. Its at the shop right now having some welding done on the exhaust, and the mechanic said he found a spot on the frame thats pretty thin, I haven't seen it, so i will find out about that, hopefully theres something i can do about it.

anyway this is just an introduction, so if you see my posts in the next couple weeks. PLEASE HELP. snow is here.

zuke66

Postby zuke66 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:20 am

How many miles?

I would guess that you need your valve cover gaskets and timing belt changed.

Any rust?

crowjane

Postby crowjane » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:59 am

170 k miles. says the timing belt was replaced 7 thousand miles ago. probably need a valve cover gasket seems theres an oil leak coming from there.

speaking of rust.
now im torn.

i might just end up selling it for parts.
with the first look, the frame looks in great condition compared to most older cars you see in new england. BUT upon further invastigation the mechanic found a spot , near the control arm, that is very thin from rust. he says he'd might be too sketched out to drive on the interstate at high speeds. they told us everything that needed to be done to pass inspection, and said they would let it pass inspection with the frame like that.

im not sure if its something a frame shop can reinforce, or if i should just sell it for parts, and walk away with my losses now instead of getting to deep into it. i can buy another car afterwards

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”