Z31 + Pathy?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

nkdmolerat16

Z31 + Pathy?

Postby nkdmolerat16 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Alright guys, im thinking of swapping my motor out for a vg30et.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this or if it even possible. now before you ask why or call me stupid hear me out. i had a z and fell in love with that motor but i need a bigger car so i bought my pathy. trannie went out and im thinking of just changing the motor and throwing in a manual. let me know what you think, or if it has been done what problems have you ran into?

thanks

dustedwatts

Re: Z31 + Pathy?

Postby dustedwatts » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:53 am

nkdmolerat16 wrote:Alright guys, im thinking of swapping my motor out for a vg30et.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this or if it even possible. now before you ask why or call me stupid hear me out. i had a z and fell in love with that motor but i need a bigger car so i bought my pathy. trannie went out and im thinking of just changing the motor and throwing in a manual. let me know what you think, or if it has been done what problems have you ran into?

thanks
I have a 93 path, the key way for the timing belt crank pully notched out so it ran really bad.... I swapped in an engine out of a 87 maxima... Before i did that, i did many searches, somewhere i read of someone swapping in an engine that had twin turbo's (would be AWESOME) if i remember correctly they had a little firewall modification but it is do-able. my swap was not that bad, just had to remove everything down to long block, and swap all parts from path to maxima engine,,, there was one piece that did not swap....the knock sensor that sits under the intake manifold valley...the maxima engine did not have a spot for it...i bolted it to the block in a dif spot... all is good....interesting thing is the maxima engine seems to have a ton more power than the original engine...LOVE MY PATH!!!!

Jacks_Pathwagon

Postby Jacks_Pathwagon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:41 am

I will not use the word " crazy" How about say determined, anything is possible but what it would take to do it, for what you may get back in return. I do not not know what you have in the way of fabricating experience, but the first hings that would have to be settled is exhaust, I f I remember correctly, the turbo engine has an exhaust crossover pipe that runs on top, between the bulkhead and engine. the next is normally when you do this, the fuel injectors need the PCM for the turbo and how does that wire into the Path.
a conversion to the manual would not be as bad as long as you used a pathfinder set up
A better option, as I have seen on Pathfinder boards would be installing a 3.3L out of a r50 Pathy. Same basic block and all, just a bigger displacement and most everything should crossover. Let me say I have never done an engine swap on a path with anything other than oem engine

Honeybadger

Postby Honeybadger » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:21 pm

The only part that would be trouble would be the exhaust crossover (requires firewall modification or a custom exhaust)

Other than that, it's pretty direct-fit. Little bits of fabrication here and there.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”