R51 trail meet? I'll bring the S'mores...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:12 pm

I'll see if I can get some dates nailed down by next week then.

Here's an old article I came across a couple of years ago while researching new vehicles:

http://members.aceweb.com/oldtrailmaster/roadtest.htm

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:04 am

I have to say that is one of the best articles I've read. You could tell the guy was experienced and didn't try to BS you. It was long , but had great info.

rragpaoa

Some Pics of my Old 2005 Pathy

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:11 pm

2005 Pathfinder 4x4 LE Overall View

More Views:

Front View:

Underbody Armor:

I will post my 2008 Pathfinder soon. It's the same without the BullBar.
Last edited by rragpaoa on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:21 pm

What bumper is that?

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:27 pm

Hey blink,

All Shrockworks stuff. Bullbar/Bumper, Sliders, Undercarriage armor ...
and window sticker :wink:

Just contact the Shrockwork guys and they can hook you up. I brought my Pathfinder to their location to fit so they are selling them, although they may not have it pictured or listed. Shrockworks did ask me to tell everyone that they are available.

By the way, it's the same stuff that the guy has on his XTerra in the link the NVSteve posted a few posts up.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:40 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I do like it but would like some/a minor modification. Would definitely make the "philly tap" way of parking interesting for the other party visiting the pathy.

For those of you not informed of the philly tap, you could probably insert any major parking location in place of the city name but it's when someone can't tell or doesn't care to tell how far they are from the other vehicles and opt to just pull forward or back until bumping into the other car. Many a vehicle with the two indents in the bumpers from license plate bolts around here.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:29 pm

ragpaoa,

Your pics aren't working as of 7:25pm (PT). I've had a few different sets of skids before for other vehicles, and they pretty much look the same as the Shrockworks-super heavy duty & heavy in weight. What would you guess the total weight of your skids to be? Or even each individual skid?

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:26 pm

NVS, pics should work now. I inadverntantly moved them to another folder and did not update the links.

Yes, heavy duty and heavy weight.
I'd say 140 lbs for skids, another 70 lbs for sliders, and 120 lbs for bullbar.
Overall though, mileage did not suffer much. +- 1.5MPG, but that includes bigger tires.

I can say this, the skids and sliders are a must. Helps a lot off-road, even with OME lifts and bigger tires. I feel plenty confident and I hit some pretty rough stuff. When I off-road, I disconnect both my sway bars (takes but 7 minutes with only a 17mm box wrench - wife timed me since I told her it would only take 5 mins) and articulation and traction improves greatly. With these little mods, the Pathy is a very impressive off-roader.

On my 2008 Pathfinder, I transferred everything except the bullbar. Dealer did not want to put a new bumper on the trade without charging me more than the bullbar. So, I'll get one later.

Anyways .... let's go wheeling!

geoffstgermaine

Postby geoffstgermaine » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:49 pm

Thanks for posting the pics. I've been considering the full Shrockworks treatment (bull bar and full skid plates) and the OME and your pictures have convinced me. I'd only seen that bull bar on a frontier before.

Last edited by geoffstgermaine on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:52 am

/drool

very nice.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:40 am

Hi Ragpaoa, nice looking treatment, I'm still wishing I had bought a white truck. What size and how many bolts are used to install the sliders and do you feel that it stiffens the frame to some extent. As the bolts likely go from one side of the box frame to the other do you see any compression of the box and did shrockworks use nylon insert lock nuts for the installation. Thanks.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:32 am

Hey greybrick,

Just curious. Are you having frame flex issues of some sort? I have noticed twice, in two different topics, that you have mentioned something about frame stiffening...
do you feel that it stiffens the frame to some extent.
did you notice much frame twisting and if so have you looked at possible frame stiffening solutions.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:49 am

BMXPath wrote:Hey greybrick, Just curious. Are you having frame flex issues of some sort? I have noticed twice, in two different topics, that you have mentioned something about frame stiffening...
Thanks BMX, while offroading last summer over some gnarly trails I noticed that there was body deflection induced from the frame. I didn't stop to check amounts but it was enough to make a few interior squeaks show up for a short while. When it warms up around here I'll get measurements done and see if the local 4x4 shops have done any chassis bracing or stiffening on these. One of the quick fixes for this on some types of trucks such as the Chev Blazer was to install a roll bar but I don't know if there is enough cabin space in PF's for that.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:40 pm

Go for it NVSteve, plan some dates. I've got a 9 and 10 year old to worry about organizing for camping that week, so i can't really play organizer for this, but we'll try to shift our schedule around to come join for a day of fun if we can.

As for those skit plates, damn that's heavy, not aluminum I guess eh?

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:18 pm

GB: I installed the sliders and plates myself. No nylon inserts/washers/nuts, but zinc plated ones so they are good quality. All bolts for the sliders go right through the frame so these are bullet proof. Now I have HiJack points.
As far as frame flex, I have not noticed any differences with or without them. As of now, I don't sense hardly any frame flexing, and I have done some pretty tough trails. Frame and body still sound.

I do recommend to everyone to disconnect the swaybars when hitting the rough stuff. Makes a real difference in traction. You don't have to remove the sway bars, just disconnect the joints from the LCA, and push the bar up out of the way. Takes no more than 7 min. Another 5 min to connect when done. You don't get more wheel travel, but you get more 'active' articulation. The truck just crawls over the rocks.

Racer: yup, skids are heavy, but heavy duty. I would have no problem coming down on rocks if need be.

Looking forward to seeing you all out in the trails.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”