P1130 Error code on 2003 Pathfinder

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Tele4Mongo

P1130 Error code on 2003 Pathfinder

Postby Tele4Mongo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:30 pm

My 2003 pathfinder check engine light came on and now the car sputters or kicks back between 2,000 - 3,000 RPMs or when you accelerate heavily like to get on a freeway. The error code points to the following part - swirl control valve control solenoid valve and notes fuel/air mixture problem. I've replaced solenoid part with no success. I then checked the MAF sensor. It was dirty but I cleaned it with 2 cans of MAF cleaner. Still no success. by the way, I learned that you can disconnect the MAF sensor and run the car to elimate it from the issue. It the P1130 symptom continues withtout the MAF connected, the MAF sensor is probably ok.

I had a mechanic clear the error code form the computer. He said the car would run fine for a while but the MAF may be bad. Well the car ran great for about a day and a half. From what I learned, once the computer is cleared, the computer will operate the car on the default settings until a problem signals a code. I believe the car managed the air/fuel mixture on it's own setting until a component kicked in. I could be totally wrong here but the car did run great until the check engine light came back on.

So here's what I've done and still have the problem:

Replaced the swirl control solenoid valve
Clean the MAF sensor and housing (Air filter is new)
Replaced all hoses feeding vacumm housing
Replaced fuel filter (added fuel injector cleaner to gas tank)

Car seems to have less kick back or sputtering but still occurs. (cold or hot)

Any expereinces out there that has solved the P1130 on the Nissan Pathfinder is very much appreciated.

Tele4Mongo
Mongo no spell check

Tele4Mongo

Postby Tele4Mongo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:46 pm

Problem seems to be resolved. If anyone can give some insight on this it would be appreciated.

I filled the tank up agin with Premium gas along with fuel injector cleaner. I drove the car 120 miles without stopping. At the end of this trip, I filled the gas up again (half a tank) with Premium. Note just before this last stop, the check engine light was still on and the car was still sputtering. I drove one more mile from the gas station to the house. By the time I got to the house, the check engine light went way. I then decided to run the car on the freeway again to see if the sputtering went away. Finally! As soon as I left the driveway, I was able to floor it without any hesitation; even on the freeway.

Final analysis is that once the check engine light goes away, the car runs normal. My guess is that the computer was the driving factor for the sputtering. I believe this because when I took it to the mechanic shop a week before, the car ran great as soon as the check engine light was reset. This time, the car reset the computer. I'm not sure if the selenoid or cleaning the Mass Air Filter was the driving factor. Maybe it was both.

If anyone has expereince with how the computer impacts performance it would be appreciated.

Mongo
A pawn in this game of auto machanics

Tele4Mongo

Postby Tele4Mongo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Problem not resolved. I replaced all the spark plugs and no success.

Only when you punch the gas is when the car hesitates. In idle, I can run up RPMs to 5,000 with no problems. It's only when I punch the gas the car will sputter.Car idles fines and drives ok if I baby the gas pedal.

Any help would be appreciate.

Tele4Mongo

Postby Tele4Mongo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Problem Solved.

Connected a analyzer that tracked live stats during operations. What we noticed was TPS (throttle position sensor) was not moving as responsive as when gas was applied. It would never go above 50%. It should hit 90% when floored. Look like a new TPS part @ $90 - wrong. When we disconnected it and reconnected, there seemed to be some improvement but not resolved. TPS monitoring was more responsive but not where it needed to be. This lead us to clean the contacts before replacing the part.

Resolved. Once we sprayed electronic cleaner solution on the TPS connections and reinstalled, the TPS was very responsive. TPS would register over 90% when the gas was punched. Car runs like a champ for $5.

The mechanic shop I took it to wanted $1,400 for the job.

It makes sense now, with a bad contact, the TPS would not properly set the throttle causing a incorrect mixture of fuel and air.

Spread the word.

TVoigt

TPS

Postby TVoigt » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:52 am

Hello, I'm glad I found your post...I have the EXACT same problem, however I'm having a hard time finding the TPS. I saw by your last post that it is under the gas pedal, but I'm still having a hard time finding it...can you point me in the right direction? Have any pictures by any chance?

Thanks for you help!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:21 am

It's not near the gas pedal, but on the side of the throttle body on the engine.

chitownnissanpath

2004 Nissan Pathfinder

Postby chitownnissanpath » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:09 pm

P1130 was the code my mechanic told me came up...sort of surprised its just one code. Anyway, my check engine came on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday my truck started sputtering as if I had depressed the brakes a couple of times.

So now its a waiting game to see if this mechanic will be able to fix it. I have read what Tele4Mongo has wrote about his car, and I feel as if I should call the mechanic and tell him what to look for.

My car is at the dealer (CarMax) repair shop, still under warranty, never had any issues with these guys before, but it sucks that they had my truck all day today and yesterday, and they still haven't figured out what is causing the problem!

I like this forum, and will let you all know what they say...

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”