Steering/front vibration

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Got the u-joints replaced. It was definitely the issue...$100 deductible later. Now there's a new noticeable vibration. But I think it's shock or tire related. It's almost in time with speed and it comes and goes with road types and condition. Here comes and goes more $$... :roll:

2011r51

Postby 2011r51 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:45 pm

i have a 2011 path sv v6 2wd w 2,000 miles and i hsve had the same problem w the vibrations i noticed one of the front wheels has alot of balancing weights need to take it back to dealer and get it checked out will update w what they find

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:54 pm

Spamcan, I had same issues with my last Path (06 model). Dealership replaced worn ujoints and I ended up having slightly different vibration. It's almost like the driveshaft was not balanced anymoe after they installed it back after replacing the ujoints. I bought anothe driveshaft as one piece (they come balanced from the factory) installed it on my own and it was all fixed. Sometimes they mess up the driveshaft balancing when replacing ujoints. U can also take it off and rebalance it - there are drive train shops that do this. It could also be other ujoints. If you have 4x4 model, you got two driveshafts and 4 ujoints on it.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks slavabon, that's kind of what it feels like. How hard was it to replace the full shaft?

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:14 pm

It was not bad at all. Took me 30 minutes. It bolts up to a flange on one end, once you remove the bolts there, the other side just slides out. The worst thing was paying $350 for the whole shaft...

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:38 pm

slavabon wrote:The worst thing was paying $350 for the whole shaft...
OUCH...I may fight the dealer for getting this resolved since they "repaired" it.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:26 am

Rather than going through the dealer, why not hit up one of the local driveline shops? I've had to do that quite a few times in the past with other vehicles. It will cost less, and that's pretty much all they do, so you can be more confident with the results as opposed to a dealer. Just a suggestion.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:03 pm

I'll do that IF the dealer doesn't fess up and repair it under warranty. The initial repair was, and since it wasn't completely or correctly repaired, it should still be. If it comes down to it and I have to pay someone, it will be an outside shop.

This dealer completely sucks so far. Glad I didn't buy from them.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Yep, you have to take care not to mess up the balance of the drive shaft when replacing the u-joints. If done properly, it stays perfectly balanced after the repair, if not, you have to remove the shaft and re-balance it with new weights, etc. I had to deal with the same issue on my 06 back in the day. Minor vibration due to the worn out u-joints became even worse with new u-joints installed and thats with everyhting lined up the way they marked it prior to dissasebly. After a few unsuccesful visits to the dealer to resolve it (they started blaming the tires, brake disks, etc.) I ended up buying a new shaft (it comes balanced) and installed it on my own. The problem went away immediately, but cost me some money..
Good luck with this stuff and keep us posted!

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Yesterday I did a tire rotation just to see if anything changes. Nope, same. Gonna try fighting the dealer one last time. The problem is it's so small and non-consistent of a vibration that they brush it off. Yet when it happens it's quite annoying. It is more prevalent at higher speeds (60-70 MPH). The service adviser said "Well the speed limit here is only 60". Really, like that matters? :roll:

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”