Independent Fog light Mod

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Facevedo17

Independent Fog light Mod

Postby Facevedo17 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:56 pm

Has anybody done an independent fog light set up - meaning that you can use your fog's without the low beams being on

I want to have my parking light and fog's at the same time I did that mod on my solara but don't know if there is a tutorial for the Pathfinder's wiring wise

can anybody scheme in ideas or have they seen it or heard of it being done ???? :evil:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:06 pm

Haven't heard of anyone coming up with some kind of mod. I'd really like it myself, especially being able to use hi beams and fogs together.

07-SV-650

Postby 07-SV-650 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:58 pm

So it's been almost 2 years since the last post, has anybody come up with anything?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:17 pm

I was just thinking this tonight on my drive into town. I'd love to be able to use my fogs with just my parking lights.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:26 am

Most countries laws prohibit that fog lights can be turned on while using high beams. So the wiring from the factory is so that they will turn off during high beam usage. If wired independently in such a way that they do not turn off while using high beams you may run the risk of getting ticketed or not passing certain state inspections. That may be a reason why no one is really interested in getting into to the wiring diagram to figure out how to do it.

The complexity lies in the wiring. Even though the fog lights have an independent switch to have them turned on or off with low beams they also have an override every time you flick your high beams on (Relay Switches). So the only way you can do what you are describing is to hard wire your fog lights independently with its own switch and turn them on/off manually and hope you never get caught driving with your high beams and fog lights on at the same time.

I know this may seem a bit nutty in the US since most cops may not even care, but the Pathfinder is a world based truck and I know for a fact that in Europe you would not be able to get away with it as you do here in the States.
:)

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:40 am

dunno if this helps in any way, but i got a GCC specs '08 SE

fog lights, low beams, and high beams each on individual on/off and u can use any combination u like, even fog lights alone with beams off

07-SV-650

Postby 07-SV-650 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:36 am

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20907

I saw this, it's how to use your high beams with fogs, I wonder if it'll work with a pathfinder

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:57 pm

hfrez wrote:Most countries laws prohibit that fog lights can be turned on while using high beams. So the wiring from the factory is so that they will turn off during high beam usage. If wired independently in such a way that they do not turn off while using high beams you may run the risk of getting ticketed or not passing certain state inspections. That may be a reason why no one is really interested in getting into to the wiring diagram to figure out how to do it.

The complexity lies in the wiring. Even though the fog lights have an independent switch to have them turned on or off with low beams they also have an override every time you flick your high beams on (Relay Switches). So the only way you can do what you are describing is to hard wire your fog lights independently with its own switch and turn them on/off manually and hope you never get caught driving with your high beams and fog lights on at the same time.

I know this may seem a bit nutty in the US since most cops may not even care, but the Pathfinder is a world based truck and I know for a fact that in Europe you would not be able to get away with it as you do here in the States.
:)
hfrez,

I understand your point. However I'm not looking to use my fog's with my High beams. US law mandates that you can only have two sets of lights on at any time on the road. High and low together or low and fogs together. What I'm trying to do is be able to have my fog lights on with just my parking lights. My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee has this ability. The switch is very similar to the pathfinder as it's only one that works all three, lows, fogs and high beams. When I have my low beams on and turn the fogs on both work. When I go to high beam the fogs are turned off automatically. However, if I just want some additional light and not have my low or high beams on, all i have to do is turn my park lights on and am able to to turn my fogs on.

The pathfinder will not allow me to do this. When I just have my parking lights on, the fogs are automatically turned off even though the switch shows they are on.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:59 pm

I understand. Good luck finding a way. Maybe you could look at your Jeep's wiring diagram and duplicate what they did.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:52 pm

I've read through the ways people have been doing the mod before the R51 and some of those ways might work.

I've been doing this mod in all my cars for the last 15 years. Usually it's just one wire in the fusebox from the side markers over to power the fogs.

I'll might try some stuff this weekend and see if it works...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:50 pm

Touchdown wrote:I've read through the ways people have been doing the mod before the R51 and some of those ways might work.

I've been doing this mod in all my cars for the last 15 years. Usually it's just one wire in the fusebox from the side markers over to power the fogs.

I'll might try some stuff this weekend and see if it works...
If you try, make sure and post back here and let us know. Thanks. :D

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:46 am

Good News...got it to work!

I'll post pics and instructions later tonight!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:36 pm

NICE :D

I'll watch for your pictures and info.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:08 pm

OK here's the R51 Foglight Mod (with pics):

Tools Needed:
Needle-nose plyers
Wire stripper

Goto O'Reilly's or Autozone and get an assortment of mini fuses and a mini inline fuseholder (I used 12 gauge but you could use 14 or so)

Here's a pic of the left side of the engine bay.

Pop the lid off the large square box with your fingers (no tools yet)

Then push in on the 2 plastic clamps on either side of the rear piece of the fuse box and slide it up and out...this one does take a little wiggling to get it out.

Here's a close up of the labels. We're going to use F7 and F10.

I used a 7.5 amp fuse (Changed this to a 10amp because the 7.5 kept blowing) because it's smaller than the 15 amps used for the lights and if anything goes wrong it should blow first and we're back to stock.

Use your wire stripper to strip off a little extra to expose more wire.

Remove the fuses with the plyers one at a time and wrap the wire (twisted tight) around one side of the fuse and replace.
Be care not to drop the fuses into the box or engine bay, they will not be recoverable.

That's it!
Replace everything and test.
This took me about 10 mins to do and here's the results...

The fogs will now come on with the parking lights, main headlights and remain on with the high beams. I'm sure someone who wanted them turned off with the highbeams could put in a relay powered off the tail lights etc., but since I never turn off the fogs anyway this works perfect for me and I'm sure a lot of others!

I've run this type mod in cars for over 15 years and have never had any electrical issues. However I am in no way responsible for what you do on your own vehicle, this is just what worked for me.

Good luck and enjoy!
TD
Last edited by Touchdown on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:52 pm

Just to clarify:
With this mod, the fog lights cannot be turned off by the stock foglight switch on the column any more. But like I said, I always use mine while driving, so it works for me!

Return to “General Automotive”