Fairly pleased, thanks Nissan engineers...

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Fairly pleased, thanks Nissan engineers...

Postby Gray » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:51 pm

As a consultant I recently completed a 3500 km work deploy to northern Canadian oilfields through some tough driving sections without incident. Most of my associates drive full sized pickups which are predominately domestic half and 3/4 ton trucks so a PF is an oddity in that group and on those roads.

One of the real upsides of this truck is that it is narrow so allows additional clearance when pulling over to pass full sized Kenworths, Peterbuilts, etc on single track oilfield roads...I got a wave or a thumbs up many times from those guys. Another plus was the load carrying capacity...I had about a 750 lbs of electronics and other gear positioned behind the front seats and the ride was excellent. :)

The main downsides were the headlight night lighting and I found that the truck rides a bit rough on oilfield roads, easily fixed by slowing down.

About another 8 similar runs and the truck will be paid for by the client mileage fee. :wink:

What I really enjoyed though was to cruise along at highway speeds of 90 - 100 mph when able with no issues.

Last edited by Gray on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:38 pm

Yeah although the stock springs are incredibly soggy I'm amazed how well (much better) it rides with a load/trailer in the back. I've taken a 6x12
with about a ton of dirtbikes and camping gear jammed in 1500 mi round trip and have been 13lbs off the GRVW doing a 200 mi wood pellet run for a jackass friend. Sadly with that weight (on oem pogos sans air bags) everyone and their mother thinks your high beaming them.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Re: Fairly pleased, thanks Nissan engineers...

Postby blink32 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:04 am

Greybrick wrote:The main downsides were the headlight night lighting
I'm still contemplating finding a way to get a set of stock xenon headlights from an over-seas model for just this reason. Should cost around $1500 total and for that reason it won't happen this calendar year. Hopefully by the time I drop the dime they will be available here in the states and the design won't have changed to a point of not fitting.

Brit

Postby Brit » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:07 am

Sorry I couldn't help you out on the HID's Blink, the dealers I approached were all either unable/unwilling to help, or said it "couldn't be done", "wouldn't work", etc, etc.
Apathy rules, apparently... :?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:28 am

Ehh, you gave me more information about the process so no worries. It just means I need burn some vacation and take a trip to England or some other ridiculous country and get my gear. I couldn't imagine it being as difficult as they were saying, re-flashing the ecm, etc. IF the engineers wired it correctly to save $ the high beam setting would simply activate the little divider in the lens assembly through a relay type setup. All big if's though.

I need to find someone willing to remove a headlamp assembly and take pictures some time........hint.

:)

Brit

Postby Brit » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:34 am

Trust me, if I remove them, they'll never work again !
I will take a look though, see whats involved.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:40 am

Lol. Its ok. I have my entire year's salary budgeted anyways and there is no lee way to purchase a set unless I sell a kidney. But with the size of the stones in them I don't think I'd get much.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”