Engine Code P0305 - 5th Cylinder Ignition Coil?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jjstager2

Engine Code P0305 - 5th Cylinder Ignition Coil?

Postby jjstager2 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:35 am

1996 Pathfinder 4WD. Car started shuddering. Engine light came on blinking first, then solid. Next morning engine light still on but running more smoothly. I hooked up code reader & it was kicking out P0305.

Cleared the code & it ran fine for a while, then did the same shuddering/engine light thing.

Is it just coincidence that I relocated the knock sensor the day before according to the you tube video? Or is this related?

I'm wondering - if this is an ignition coil replacement issue, how important is it to replace all coils instead of just the #5 coil?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:41 pm

A 96 will only have one ignition coil. Individual coils didn't start until 2001 in the Pathfinder. A #5 misfire code could be caused by a number of issues, including a bad spark plug, bad #5 spark plug wire, bad #5 fuel injector, intake leak at #5 cylinder, corrosion buildup in the #5 tower of the distributor cap, burnt valve in #5 cylinder to name a few. Most of the time it's ignition related or a fuel injector. Sometimes the injector issue can be cured with a professional type fuel injection cleaning.

jjstager2

Postby jjstager2 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Thank you very much for the reply, smj999smj.

This afternoon I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and then the wires and spark plugs on all cylinders.

Ran very smooth without engine light for a bit. Then the engine light came on again.

I may be fooling myself, but I think I can smell gasoline in the exhaust.

Do you think it's a fuel injector?

jjstager2

Postby jjstager2 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Problem solved - it was the fuel injector on the 5th cylinder.

Very easy fix. It Took a Phillips head screwdriver and a pair of pliers and about 15 minutes.

Autozone and O'Reilly auto parts each had the injector in stock for about $90.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”