Extended Warrenty... Anyone buy one?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

wizeguy

Extended Warrenty... Anyone buy one?

Postby wizeguy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:59 pm

It's been crossing my mind about getting the Nissan Gold security plus extended warrenty since my warrenty just expired... Anyone have this and how much did it run you?

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/ni ... n/Gold.pdf

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:38 am

I'm not a big fan of extended warranties for anything whether its cars, electronics, appliances, etc. But that's just me. I'd rather assume take the risk and keep my money and save it until I need it for repairs.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:51 am

Same here. Never bought one...never had enough in repairs to have ever paid for one either. Odds are NOT in your favor otherwise they wouldn't be selling these....for a profit.

Regardless, I thought you had to buy the extended warranty BEFORE the expiration of the original warranty.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:14 pm

I bought one before on a 99 Chevy Surburban. It was several hundred dollars and I just put it in the monthly payment which raised it up a few bucks...I know, not the best way to do it...but that warranty rebuilt my transmission twice..top end of engine once and bottom end once.

Those models were bad for the intake manifold gasket going bad..this one paid for itself.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:29 am

Consumer Reports suggests that you do NOT buy any kind of extended warranty (whether for a vehicle or otherwise). They consider it a waste of money and the purchaser usually never ends up using it.

Think about it - Warranty companies are in the business of making money and the mathematical odds of something going wrong with a vehicle these days is minimal. Could something happen to yours? Of course, but then again that is why we have forums like this to investigate the probabilities of any kind of failures and maintaining the vehicle with known flaws so that they do not happen.

marc515

Postby marc515 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:16 am

I still havn't made up my mind yet, but I have plenty of time to decide.

However, if you are seriously interested, do a google search, there are couple of Nissan dealers who sell them for a great price; considerably less than my dealer quoted me with his "special" price.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:25 am

depends on the cost of the plan. I bought it for my 98 civic from brand new, but the plan only cost $900. I figured it would be less than a major repair, so it was a good idea.

I wasn't as mechanically inclined back then either. I wouldn't bother now.

t

Pathfinder101

Postby Pathfinder101 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:35 am

I purchased one for my Audi $5500 to protect an extra 4 years or 80k
needless to say i never used it. I purchased it due to how expensive parts are to replace and figured i would save big.

I had Infiniti FX45 that i did not purchase one on and the tranny went out rt after factory warranty expired that cost about $5200 to replace

As said above i have now learned that they say rather than buy extended warranty put a little away each month for when you do need a repair and will save $$$ in the long run

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:25 am

i whole heartedly believe in extended warranties if you plan on keeping the vehicle for awhile.

i got my path with 23k on it, and i did the extended warranty until 100k.

previous to that i had one on my acura tl. i think i paid $2300 for the warranty, and after a transmission rebuild, cv joints, throttle control sensor and a list of other things i was glad i did as the costs (i had all the receipts) came out to way more than 2300.

i had a couple cars for a short time inbetween and i did not get the warranties on those since i wasn't planning on keeping them (junkers anyway)

previous to that i had a new montero sport. did the same thing there. had brake trouble, transmission trouble, rear diff trouble, etc, etc.

and in both cases the trouble really started happening right after 3/36 warranty ran out.

so your experience may vary, but with my driving habits the ext warranty seems to come in handy.

i would be wary of a warranty that does come through the dealer that you bought the car from though. i've heard those can be pretty flakey

ThePainClinic

Postby ThePainClinic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm

For those of us who bought an extended warranty/ service plan, how much did you pay? I'm trying to see if the price I was offered is to high.

I have 30,000 miles on my 2010 PF and was quoted $2421 for Nissan Security Plus - Gold Preferred. 8 year/ 100,000 miles $100 deductible.

I can put 10% down ($240) and pay $121 x 18 @ 0 interest.

Are there better prices out there?

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:29 am

ThePainClinic wrote:For those of us who bought an extended warranty/ service plan, how much did you pay? I'm trying to see if the price I was offered is to high.

I have 30,000 miles on my 2010 PF and was quoted $2421 for Nissan Security Plus - Gold Preferred. 8 year/ 100,000 miles $100 deductible.

I can put 10% down ($240) and pay $121 x 18 @ 0 interest.

Are there better prices out there?
Extended Warranties are a waist of money. They do not cover your wear and tear items which is mostly what you would pay for yourself. They only cover major problems. If you take the $2421 and put into savings you would find that it would most likley never be touched or you would only use a nominal amount from it. The stories you hear where someone got their problem resolved and paid by those warrenties are far too few compared to all those that never have a problem. Insurance companies are in business to make money and not to benifit you otherwise they would not over such warrenties.

DON'T WAIST YOUR MONEY ON EXTENDED WARRENTIES!

BroadlandsPath

Postby BroadlandsPath » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:10 am

I would usually agree on extended warranties not being worth it but in my case it was. (extended warranty was for 7 years / 75,000 miles for about $1500) Plus I had about $400 worth of claims prior to the one in the below thread that was for $2500.

See this thread - http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ght=#37431

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:34 am

BroadlandsPath wrote:I would usually agree on extended warranties not being worth it but in my case it was. (extended warranty was for 7 years / 75,000 miles for about $1500) Plus I had about $400 worth of claims prior to the one in the below thread that was for $2500.

See this thread -

Just wanted to post my experience - I am original owner of a 2005 LE Pathfinder 74,500 miles on it. My oil pressure gauge was usually consistent and at idle was about 1/4 of the way up on the gauge and at 2500 rpm would be about 3/4 of the way up on the gauge (after warm up).

I started to notice that after the truck had been warmed up the oil pressure at idle was almost none the needle was at the bottom of the gauge but no warning light about low oil pressure. I have an extended warranty so the dealer I usually go to said it was faulty oil pressure gauge so they replaced it and there was no change on the gauge readings. I asked if they checked the oil pressure and they said yes and it might be the oil pump. I didn't believe them so I decided to try a different dealer.

The new dealer actually performed an oil pressure test this time and at idle it was only 6psi - should be about 15psi. At 3000 rpm it was only 26psi and should be around 45psi. They diagnosed it to a problem with a seal that was behind the rear timing cover. I had read about a few others with this same problem on other forums. So after replacing the timing cover/seals and they went ahead and replaced the timing chain and guides the final bill was about $2500, luckily the extended warranty covered it all.
That is my point though you got awfully close to the 75,000 miles and got lucky that you did not go over plus you got the runaround. Now in 2005 you could have taken the $1500 and invested it and gotten about the same amount back in 7 to 8 years and you would have broken even. What do you think the chances are that this will happen twice to you (especially since the 2005 had problems and your 2010 has all the fixes)? :o

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:48 am

You can tell anecdotal stories all day long...but these are insurance polcies sold by companies looking to make money. They have done far more research on how to make money on these which means the odds are not in your favor. If it makes you sleep better then go for it. If you think this is a good investment....you probably have better odds than vegas...but that's about it.

ThePainClinic

Postby ThePainClinic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:30 pm

whats an anecdotal story?

I take it you didn't buy an extended warranty...

Ok, now as the post states for those who did buy the extended warranty...your thoughts/ experiences are appreciated!

Utterly amazing.... :roll:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”