Has anyone added the VOLO Performance product to their Pathy

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

hfrez

Has anyone added the VOLO Performance product to their Pathy

Postby hfrez » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:33 am

Has anyone added the VOLO Performance product to their Pathy?

If so which product and how has it improved your Pathy?

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Can not say I’m a hyper miler, but always been mileage conscious.
Currently, I am experimenting with the Volo Performance model FS3 purchased early January 2011 to improve mileage. It gets wired into the OBD II wiring. An email response from the company explains: “The chip reads the ECU and only the ECU's calculated fuel delivery and timing values are altered.” I will mention that I drove 600 miles to the east mid-Feb 2011 using cruise control for the most part at speeds generally 67-69 MPH. Used Shell & BP reg 87 fuel only (no noticeable difference of brands between fill-ups) & got 22.16MPG. But on the return westerly trip under similar conditions except very strong headwinds we got 18.99 MPG. I feel this was an improvement since this is winter blend calculations, but last July it was normal to get ~20MPG on interstate travel and at a slightly slower speed.

Another example:
Trip to daughter is 30 miles round trip. Best summer driving in a 98 Tahoe was 15 MPG. After buying this used 06 Pathfinder, I was thrilled that it got 18 MPG in warm weather (without the VOLO). However, the month of March (winter blend) it registered 20.1 MPG !!! Now, in the middle of June it is up to 22.2 MPG. Odometer reads 76K.

Another trip that we can compare with the previous year is a 140 miles round trip, all interstate. This yr (July 2011) with the VOLO and 41% Shell prem 93 in the tank(= 89 octane), it gave 23.7MPG, a wk later 22.8MPG . Last yr 2 similar trips in a hot July on Shell reg 87 was 21.74 &19.56, an avg of 20.5MPG.

Overall, my figures show an improvement with the VOLO FS3.
Note: The instructions mention that the PF computer takes about 120 miles to accept changes. So the VOLO must stay connected at all times.

Another thing I did on a 98 Tahoe to get better MPG was to trick the computer to think the engine temp was higher than actual to get it out of closed loop ( or is it open loop???), so it got it out of the rich fuel mixture sooner. It did help local MPG a lot since I was only 6 miles from work & half of that was in rich mode. All it took was a properly sized resistor across the coolant sensor. Seems it also leans out the fuel the hotter the engine gets & can (and did) cause misfires under certain conditions. Also on real cold mornings the engine would hesitate for a bit.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:37 am

Well I just got done installing the VP12 VOLO Performance Chip a few days ago and it seems to have resolved my idling issue. It is true that the VOLO changes your fuel mapping and therefore the idle is set a bit higher. This resulted in a better gas pedal reaction. The Pathy now has a much better and smoother response on takeoff. I have to remind you that I do have a K&N FPIK cold air intake system. My previous Idle problem could have been a result of that but the chip accounts for having it installed so that makes a big difference.

A few days ago I showed a Mustang GT driver (4.6l generation) the rear end of my truck . Blew him away until we hit 100MPH and then he passed me but it felt goooood. I was able to rev out the engine at 6250RPM's between the first two shifts. Man it feels better than my old F150 5.4L Lariat when it pulls away. (The Lariat was also modified with K&N, Gibson Exhaust & Dialo Performance Chip).

As far as the fuel economy is concerned I also have seen an increase, I take a trip to see my buddy once a month and it is about a 225 mile round trip. The last few times I went to see him I was getting 19.8MPG with 93 Octane fuel. This last trip with the VOLO I got 21.9MPG :) doing the same thing I always do and also using 93 Octane fuel. In my City driving I noticed an increase but do not have the proof yet. It definitely looks like I am going to get at least 1MPG more. I will update you when I have some firm numbers.

I know that there are a few blogs out there about the VOLO and I researched what I could find on it. A lot of folks do not believe the claim is true but I am here to tell you it worked for me. I will have it paid for in 7 to 8 months through the savings of fuel alone. So I would say it is definitely worth it. The FS3 VOLO is supposed to get even better results which I will buy and try on our Matrix. I will keep this thread updated on my results.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:00 am

Great to see the MPG improvements. I went with the FS3 for economy, but appears you got the best of both worlds. Now I wish I had the VP12 for the same money.

The PF trans has a dual clutch system that allows for a quicker shift and utilizes an extremely low first gear. But then again, many comment on the peppiness of the 4.0L

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:14 am

Just took another trip. I went to Miami both ways on I95 a 269 mile round trip. I used 89 Octane instead of the usual 93. I set my cruise control to 73mph and I achieved 22.78 MPG. I'm thrilled.

I will experiment now with 89 vs. 93 Octane gas. I noticed that the performance drops just a bit but it might be worth the savings. This may seem like small change to some but between 10 to 15 cents per gallon if you drive 12000miles a year it comes out to be over $80 savings for the year. I will keep you posted.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:57 am

89 Octane works as well with my VOLO and it returns slightly worse mpg's (maybe 0.5 mpg's less). I don't like it though because I can also feel a loss in power; however, on long hauls I would probably use 89 Octance vs. 93.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:25 am

I just did another trip a 215 mile round trip on country roads nice and straight no traffic lights average of 65mph and I returned 23.4mpg's :D . It seems to be getting better the longer it is on the truck. My average city went up to 17.6mpg's but again my city driving is not as bad as some city’s. The traffic lights are often a mile or two apart. I'm also using the manual shift to down shift to a stop and that seems to add to the mpg's as well. :lol:

Fuel wise :wink: I'm going to stick to the high octane of 93. It makes for more responsive driving and just feels right for the Pathy. Savings is negligible considering that our 89 octane gas is often only a 10 cent difference.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:25 am

Great info 8) Thanks!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:46 am

hfrez,

Any pictures of the install of the VP12 chip? I'm thinking about adding this to my Pathfinder but unsure if it fits the V8. Also, does the 89.95 price tag sound right to you?

gond34

Postby gond34 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:29 am

Is there anybody else using this chip? I've seen mixed reviews on it, but at the current price ($90) it's definitely peaked my interest. If there's more success stories about this product, I think I might have to jump on it...

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Sorry for the late reply. I bought mine for $90 as well ($95 with shipping). I think it will pay for itself if I keep the Pathy for two years (I'm planning on 8 years though).

Return to “R51 Electrical”