What gears do you use off-roading

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Touchdown

What gears do you use off-roading

Postby Touchdown » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:57 pm

I heard recently that when traversing some serious mud, one should use 4 lo and keep it in 2nd gear.

That got me thinking that maybe some of the more hardcore off-road guys on here might be able to give some advice to the noobs about what gears to use and when.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm definately not a hardcore off roader, but I've started to use the manual shift modes (in a previous truck as well) to help me from getting stuck.
Here are a few things that have worked for me in the past:

1. Semi-Deep Mud: 4 Lo - 2nd Gear (just learned about this one)

2. Up a steady incline on a rocky fire road: 4 HI - 3rd Gear (you could just keep it in the Auto Trans Mode and let it shift higher, but I found that the higher rpm produced a little more torque in 3rd gear)

3. Steep downhill: 4 Lo - 1st Gear - Brakes (HDC if you have it)

4. Slipery Incline: 4 Hi - 4th Gear (Need a little speed, but that could vary depending on tire tread)

Colin

what gear

Postby Colin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:00 pm

thats generally right what was mentioned above. also check tyre pressures. for steep rocky uphill try lowering to 24-26psi. sand down to 8psi. i carry a manual winch and a snatch strap if i get stuck and a small air compressor for when i hit the sealed roads. i try to stay away from mud if at all possible. not being a woose just like to keep clean

Return to “General Automotive”