Noise while driving

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

95_pathfinder

Noise while driving

Postby 95_pathfinder » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:54 pm

I just picked up a 95 pathfinder 4x4 5 speed last night. This truck is in really good condition, runs great, drives great, and shifts great. The only thing I have noticed is while driving in gears 1, 2, 3, and 5 it makes a humming/ whining sound like that heard when going fast in reverse in a manual shift car. When I push in the clutch it stops and it doesnt do it in 4th gear. Like I said it shifts and drives fine. Does anyone have any ideas?

95_pathfinder

Postby 95_pathfinder » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:19 pm

I have checked the fluid levels in the transmission and transfer case and they are good, the fluid itself also looks good. The previous owner said it has done that the whole time he has owned it. Im just wanting to know if this is normal or something I should worry about? Thanks

Hermit

Postby Hermit » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:35 pm

I would guess it's the throwout bearing. AFAIK, it's not something to worry about, just noise, not something horrible about to happen. I could be wrong, but with you saying it stops when the clutch is in, that's what it sounds like to me. When you have your clutch replaced, that is normally replaced as well. Just have it done then.

95_pathfinder

Postby 95_pathfinder » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Well that is good then. It shifts great, the clutch grabs great, no slip, feels new. Maybe the clutch had been replaced but nothing else. Either way as long it it isnt going to blow up or anything then I am fine. We will see when the time comes for me to replace the clutch. Thanks

95_pathfinder

Postby 95_pathfinder » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Well here is some info on that whining noise. There is some really good info in here. Hopefully this will help anyone else with the same problem.

http://npora.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2621&st=0

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”