I by-passed my in radiator tranny cooler

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: no dip stick ?!

Postby eieio » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:09 pm

mtbpath wrote:since there is no transmission dip stick provided, how does one go about checking the fluid without taking it to dealer?
how much does it cost?
thanks.
there is a transmission dipstick
page MA-22 in the service manual outlines the correct procedure for checking the transmission fluid level
service manual is in the 2nd "sticky" in this forum :wink:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:12 pm

eieio wrote:seems like if it is a Nissan approved or designed setup, we would have known about it by now
True. But, there are a ton of service documents that we are not privy to. It would be nice if someone on our forum or another forum, who actually works for Nissan, could do some snooping.
if it is an aftermarket set-up it would surprise me that a dealership would install it
Totally agree. I know they will do some aftermarket stuff, but we are mainly speaking of things that are tried and tested. Hard to believe that one little (or big-not sure what defines the size of one) dealership would come up with a bypass and additional external cooler solution. Unfortunately, I won't be going to the dealership until my next oil change, which will be right around the 60,000 mile service mark. Since I'll be giving them however many hundreds of dollars for that service, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to answer all my questions about the additional cooler. Probably won't be until the end of summer though. If I happen to need any parts from them in the meantime, I'll be sure to stop by and ask about it then.

Here's what they had on my service printout/receipt:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:20 pm

eieio wrote:
mtbpath wrote:since there is no transmission dip stick provided, how does one go about checking the fluid without taking it to dealer?
how much does it cost?
thanks.
there is a transmission dipstick
page MA-22 in the service manual outlines the correct procedure for checking the transmission fluid level
service manual is in the 2nd "sticky" in this forum :wink:
It's somewhat lame. You'll find the dipstick on the passenger side, not very clearly marked. You'll have to remove a 10 mm bolt & then follow the instructions from the service manual, which involves having the engine running & whatever else (can't remember the whole routine).

I checked mine myself last weekend & it looked fine, but I had the dealer check it again today just to be sure.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:48 pm

how much does it cost?
thanks.
Here are some pictures to help you.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:41 pm

@ volvite. thanks. I had previously found it but was hoping it was like a oil dip stick where i can check it without removing a bolt.
I'm assuming once I remove the bolt there is a stick inside to check fluid level?
thanks again.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:53 am

steve,

I'd really like to know what all they plan on doing to add an external transmission cooler for 320. I actually can't believe they noted on the workorder to add the cooler to prevent it from mixing. To me they know the problem is out there are are warning/advising customers about the radiator failures.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:11 pm

bypass done at 72500 miles.
i check the radiator every few weeks.
trans fluid looks red and no signs of contamination in radiator also.

now to figure out other little issues....

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:27 am

volvite wrote:
how much does it cost?
thanks.
Here are some pictures to help you.

Hey Volvite,

Just saw your pics now. That is a different location than on my 05 V6. Mine is a little deeper in the engine bay, you need an extension to get at it conveniently.

t

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 am

Terry,

I believe they would be located differently as if I remember correctly, the air intake on the V6 enters from the passenger side of the motor.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:20 am

I like the location on your better. Another excuse to upgrade to V8! :)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:51 am

volvite wrote:steve,

I'd really like to know what all they plan on doing to add an external transmission cooler for 320. I actually can't believe they noted on the workorder to add the cooler to prevent it from mixing. To me they know the problem is out there are are warning/advising customers about the radiator failures.
Yeah, I've been thinking quite a bit about this the last couple of days. If they give me a break on the cost of it with my 60k service, I might have them go ahead and do it (whatever it is they do). Of course I'll speak to my service guy first to find out more detail, aside from bypass the rad, install extra cooler.

When I pulled into the bay & my service guy asked me what I needed, I said "oil change & check the trans fluid." His first response was "you think you might have some mixing with the fluid?" Yeah, my dealer at least is very aware of the problem. Still like to know if this is a Nissan service or a dealer contrived one.

jrjohn77

Postby jrjohn77 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:41 am

Question....

Is there risk of air bubbles getting trapped in the transmission cooler after performing the bypass? If so, any tricks to force them out? I'm afraid the oil is not flowing properly since I performed the bypass.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:44 am

jrjohn77 wrote:Question....

Is there risk of air bubbles getting trapped in the transmission cooler after performing the bypass? If so, any tricks to force them out? I'm afraid the oil is not flowing properly since I performed the bypass.
any air bubbles will purge out quickly
never heard of anyone having trouble from that
why the concern about oil flowing properly?
symptoms?

jrjohn77

Postby jrjohn77 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:41 am

I performed my bypass over a month ago installing a second oil cooler. I put 1500 miles on the PF and no problems, leaks, etc. This weekend I'm unloading after a 500 mile round trip and I notice oil splattered on the step rail and mud flap on the passenger side. I look underneath and find a puddle of transmission oil. Not a few drips and not gushing, but obviously there's a problem

So, I pull the skid plate and grill off and everything near the secondary cooler is soaked in oil. I find where the oil is coming from and elect to remove the second oil cooler and run the tubes from the factory cooler to the transmission. I check the fluid levels and it's obviously a little low from the work and I top it off the fluid.

Now, I can no longer perform rolling stops or else the transmission hesitates like the downshifts are hanging in the lower gears. I have to stop, wait 2 seconds and then accelerate. It did the same thing after had the trans flushed(before bypass) and the mechanics didn't top off the oil properly. Adding more oil cleared up the issue. This morning, I check the fluid and the levels are still at the top the dipstick which I thought would settle with driving and air working it's way out of the tubes and cooler.

Of course, I'm paying close attention to how the PF reacts and shifts now and I'm freaking out. Sorry for the long post, but I figured you needed the history

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:18 am

jrjohn77 wrote: Sorry for the long post, but I figured you needed the history
history helps! :)
has the truck ever had a coolant/trans contamination problem, or was it by-passed before anything happened?
where was your ATF oil leaking from (specifically: hose, connection, aftermarket cooler)?
how much oil did you lose from the leak (how much did it take to adjust back to the proper level)?
also curious as to what aftermarket cooler was installed, and where.....

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”