Brake Disc / Rotor and Pad change Video DIY for noobs.

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

elpeede

Brake Disc / Rotor and Pad change Video DIY for noobs.

Postby elpeede » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Seems the question of how to sort the discs (rotors over the pond) on a Pathfinder comes up quite regular, and no surprise either given the cost if you have them done by a garage. I managed to do these myself yesterday, first time, straight forward enough with basic tools. Did a little video of the project to as it may help others. Its a little long and I'm no producer / editor but it basically shows the process start to finish for the front axle. Hope its useful to others here and helps you keep your pathfinders on the road safe and your money in your pockets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4Es9LFh-E

Sound is quiet at times , I was using a Kodak Playsport and has my back to it at times, motorway in the background accounts for the road noise.

jspitz

Postby jspitz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:45 am

Nicely done. I'm about to undertake this on my Passat, and after seeing your video, I'll probably do the Pathy next time the front brakes are due for replacement.

redwing

Postby redwing » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:50 pm

So changing the rear brakes on a 06 is pretty easy? I just got the new rotors and pads. Going to attempt it saturday afternoon. Then maybe changing tranny fluid.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 am

Nice video. I didn't watch the whole thing so I apologize if you said it already, but did you notice the inner sides of the rotors more warn than the outer sides? Tech mentioned that this is a common problem for the R51 and it looked like that may have been the case with your too.

Triprock

Postby Triprock » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:55 am

Your video says Pathfinder Navara, what is Navara?

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:44 am

Great video! Thank you! 8)

jspitz

Postby jspitz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:15 am

Triprock wrote:Your video says Pathfinder Navara, what is Navara?
Navara is the European/Asian/Australian (and maybe some other locations?) name for the Frontier.

Triprock

Postby Triprock » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20 am

jspitz wrote:
Triprock wrote:Your video says Pathfinder Navara, what is Navara?
Navara is the European/Asian/Australian (and maybe some other locations?) name for the Frontier.
ok cool thanks

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:32 am

pretty good video. hope it's pretty similar to my '06 SE too.

elpeede

Postby elpeede » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:00 am

Sorry guys for not replying sooner, yes the inner side did seem worse. I can't think of a logical reason for this.. maybe the crud doesn't wash off so easily and becomes a grinding paste. The pads have a channel in the centre which I presume is to assist debris to self clean.. once that becomes blocked I guess it adds to the degridation as the crud has no where to go.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”