2005 Pathfinder Brake light problem

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

mrfatboy

2005 Pathfinder Brake light problem

Postby mrfatboy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Hey guys,

My wife just noticed that her brake lights are out. All other lights are working. I have gone thru the fuse box and can't find any broken fuses. However, I don't know which one is the specific brake fuse. There is not a specific brake fuse label. Does anybody body know how it is labeled?

In try to diagnose the problem I tested the trailer connection with a voltmeter. I'm getting 12volts on the left and right blinker but nothing at the 3rd connection down with I believe would be the brake connection.

One last bit of info, I pulled out the radio 3 months ago to make an Aux in connection. I had to remove the center dash to do it. I have no idea if the brake connections run thru there or not. Maybe I yanked something by accident.

Any other ideas how to diagnose where the problem might be?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Start by checking 10A fuse #20 in the fuse block. If you have power across the fuse, then check for power to the brake switch at the red/black wire. When you depress the brake pedal, you should have power at the yellow wire when back-probing the brake switch harness connector. If not, check the switch adjustment or replace the switch as necessary. You should also be able to unplug the switch harness connector and jump the terminals and have brake lamps (assuming you have power to the switch). If not, you'll have to find the open in the circuit between the switch and the tail lamps.

mrfatboy

Postby mrfatboy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks. Could you clarify exactly which fuse is #20. They are not numbered on the back of the cover. Of course there is nothing labeled as "brake light" :(

Here is a picture of the fuse cover.

http://db.tt/tFPOAcYp

drmayer

Postby drmayer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:26 am

at your trailer connector, the left and right blinker are also the brake lights. the 3rd connection is the running lights.

mrfatboy

Postby mrfatboy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:36 am

Thanks for the trailer light connection reminder. I now remember. However, I don't remember getting any power there unless the blinker was being used. Are the blinker lights on a different fuse?

From the picture above can any body tell me the exact Fuse for the brake light fuse to check?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:02 am

I actually have this issue the road side of my 05, the brake light doesn't work. I removed the cover and checked the bulb, but it was not burnt out. After fiddling with the light socket, it started working again. So either a bad solder on the light socket, or a broken wire. Haven't gotten around to fixing this yet.

t

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:31 am

Sounds like a bad brake light switch as all the lights are not working.

mrfatboy

Postby mrfatboy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:55 am

LOL. I'm still trying to find the correct fuse. Why didn't they just lable it as 'brake light' :(

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:07 am

It's labeled, but you're looking at the IPDM/ER fuse box, not the fuse block inside the passenger compartment. Open up your glove box and you'll see the fuse box cover on the right. On the back there's a label and you'll see a fuse labeled "stop lamp."

mrfatboy

Postby mrfatboy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:25 pm

smj999smj wrote:Start by checking 10A fuse #20 in the fuse block. If you have power across the fuse, then check for power to the brake switch at the red/black wire. When you depress the brake pedal, you should have power at the yellow wire when back-probing the brake switch harness connector. If not, check the switch adjustment or replace the switch as necessary. You should also be able to unplug the switch harness connector and jump the terminals and have brake lamps (assuming you have power to the switch). If not, you'll have to find the open in the circuit between the switch and the tail lamps.

thanks for the perfect advice :D It was a defective stop light switch. Also thanks for directing me to the correct fuse panel. :D

Return to “R51 Electrical”