hp

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

blackpath

hp

Postby blackpath » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 am

Can anyone tell me if a K&N intake will give me more hp or better mpg. I have a 2010 pathfinder se v6

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:21 am

no

blackpath

Postby blackpath » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:15 am

So what's the point. Not trying to sound stupid just trying to learn.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:19 am

blackpath wrote:So what's the point. Not trying to sound stupid just trying to learn.
there are lots of things you can buy that don't do any good :wink:
some might say that there is a cost savings in the long run having a cleanable filter insted of a disposable one
but then you need to have extra materials and time to service them
not to mention the grief that can come from an overoiled air filter fouling the intake tract :(

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:31 am

The filter? No. But I hear that adding the sticker to your window adds 25 hp and gives you 5 more mpg. :D

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:57 pm

deermjd wrote:The filter? No. But I hear that adding the sticker to your window adds 25 hp and gives you 5 more mpg. :D
I'll take 10!

In all seriousness though, any real HP gain will cost you significant dough. See RacerZX's old thread for the supercharger he put on his V6. Very cool, but also very expensive (for the average bear anyways, I think he got his for free in return for some publicity). And as he's pointed out in the past, any major mod like that makes it difficult to find the right service personnel, as you now have a 'one off' and have added complexity to your vehicle. Unless you are really handy on your own, or are willing to pay big bucks for a specialty tuner shop, you'll probably run into problems.

The best way to get more HP is to buy the right amount up front. To that end, I will probably start shopping for my V8 pathy in about a year or so. We would like more umph for towing and such, but don't really want a bigger truck, so the V8 pathy would probably be perfect for us.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:44 pm

It may have some gains in power at high RPM vs. a conventional filter, but the tradeoff is that cloth type filters pass more dirt through them than paper filters and the oil used to coat cloth filters, like K&N, can coat the hotwire of the mass air sensor and cause incorrect readings. Google search the Spicer Air filter test is you want to learn more about air filters.

bbermann

Re: hp

Postby bbermann » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:30 am

blackpath wrote:Can anyone tell me if a K&N intake will give me more hp or better mpg. I have a 2010 pathfinder se v6
I did both a cold air intake and an exhaust modification (to remove the "Y" restriction) about the same time and while I have not done a dyno, I would suggest there is definitely a noticeable difference in power.

This can be a little deceptive when making these mods due to engine noise differences and such but I have since had the opportunity to rent Pathfinders while on business travel a couple of times.

The best way I can describe the difference between my current pathy and a stock one is that mine feels like it has a more raw power output and response vs. the stock which is nice and smooth and refined. The modded version is a bit torqueier, not so tame. Definitely louder, probably too much so.

I would not be suprised at all if the intake and exhaust changes netted 20-30 HP. I notice no difference in MPG. Perhaps this is not the best use of money, oh well...

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:38 am

Not flaming you bbermann, but I need data to believe this.

No MPG change, but an increase in HP and Torque just doesn't add up.

Power = fuel consumption. Unless the mods made the engine more efficient, but that would also change MPG. Unless there was a corresponding change in your driving style to take advantage of (and thereby negate) the efficiency increase, I don't see how this could possibly work.

t

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:02 pm

i had a KN on for 3 years then went back to stock cause cleaning and oiling was not something i like.

there was a minor noticeable difference in HP and major difference in sound, but mpg was dropped significantly.

we have different ratings in UAE than in the US for hp, but stock pathy here has 290hp, we measured 303 with the filter.

low end rpm no change, you could feel the extra at 4000+ rpm

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:14 am

disallow wrote:Not flaming you bbermann, but I need data to believe this.

No MPG change, but an increase in HP and Torque just doesn't add up.

Power = fuel consumption. Unless the mods made the engine more efficient, but that would also change MPG. Unless there was a corresponding change in your driving style to take advantage of (and thereby negate) the efficiency increase, I don't see how this could possibly work.

t
It's very possible to see a boost in maximum power of the engine without seeing a significant change in fuel mileage from intake or exhaust modifications.

At normal, low RPM driving the throttle butterfly is what controls airflow to the engine. Reducing the intake/exhaust pressure drops simply means that to deliver the same RPM and load the the butterfly will close down a bit, resulting in the same overall pressure drop as before. The engine block doesn't know any differently.

Now go full throttle: With reduced restriction on the inlet and exhaust the engine can pull in more air, inject more fuel, and deliver more power. Even if this full throttle operation were less efficient, full throttle driving is such a small component of total mileage and would not have a significant effect on overall fuel efficiency.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”