That's IT, Nissan's R51 Radiator/Transmissions SUCK

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:05 am

RacerZX wrote:Aw hell....

A: The Titan has the problem too, and they go back to 2004.

B: An '08 Titan had a failure.

C: An '08 XTerra had a failure.

D: A guy posted that his wife's 2010 Pathfinder just got a warranty extension letter from Nissan...

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-p ... uit-2.html

I would presume Armada & QX56s have the same problem as well, though I'm having trouble finding firm postings online that direction, maybe the sample of vehicles is too small (far fewer of those on the road).
Pathfinder/Frontier V6/Xterra share the same radiator. (21460-EA215)

Titan/Armada/QX56 share the same radiator. (21460-ZQ00A)

We need to decide if we want to apply this across the vehicle platforms, or pick on one particular part number.

The PNs above were from Rockauto.com.
t

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 am

Good point, probably better to focus on what we're 100% sure of, and it'll make the model list on the business card tighter too. Plus there are way way way more of us out there than Titan/Armada/QX56s.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:38 pm

So who would we target with the card campaign then? Do we limit to known bad years? Or do we do them all, in the hopes that it forces Nissan to prove that they fixed it for newer models?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:59 pm

I'd hit up every Pathfinder.

I think it will bring in some new members to the forum as well. I actually just talked to someone on my lunch break about it. Gave him the site link and told him about the possibility of his radiator failure.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Yeah, we'll tag every single modern Frontier, XTerra, and Pathfinder period. Nissan still hasn't changed the part number so honestly we don't truly know if us 2008+ people are safe or not...

wizeguy

Postby wizeguy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm in... We should all drive our Pathfinders to Nissan north American
World Headquarters and circle it like sharks.
:lol:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:07 am

wizeguy wrote:I'm in... We should all drive our Pathfinders to Nissan north American
World Headquarters and circle it like sharks.
:lol:
If I lived in the same state as corporate (TN), you better damned well believe I would be organizing just such a thing! And then send off a few invites to the media. Anything that will draw negative attention to Nissan & the fact that they aren't addressing the issue with a recall when all the other mfrs have been great (of late) with them. Look at all the crap Toyota has gone through the past few years. If Nissan produced those vehicles, there never would have been any recalls.

gond34

Postby gond34 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:05 pm

Count me in... And NVSteve... I haven't done the bypass, either. I know this sounds crazy, but mine is still under warranty so I am actually WANTING mine to fail soon. If it fails under warranty, that will just buy me more time in the long run. Granted, when I get close to the 80k mark, you can be damned sure I'll do the bypass. After seeing how Nissan has treated this, though, I don't mind the idea of making them have to fix this on their buck.

wizeguy

Postby wizeguy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:04 pm

gond34 wrote:Count me in... And NVSteve... I haven't done the bypass, either. I know this sounds crazy, but mine is still under warranty so I am actually WANTING mine to fail soon. If it fails under warranty, that will just buy me more time in the long run. Granted, when I get close to the 80k mark, you can be damned sure I'll do the bypass. After seeing how Nissan has treated this, though, I don't mind the idea of making them have to fix this on their buck.
You don't want to ruin the trans!.. Correct me if I'm wrong but Nissan will pay for the Radiator but if the trans fails, that bills on you...

wilto

Postby wilto » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:50 pm

wizeguy wrote:
gond34 wrote:Count me in... And NVSteve... I haven't done the bypass, either. I know this sounds crazy, but mine is still under warranty so I am actually WANTING mine to fail soon. If it fails under warranty, that will just buy me more time in the long run. Granted, when I get close to the 80k mark, you can be damned sure I'll do the bypass. After seeing how Nissan has treated this, though, I don't mind the idea of making them have to fix this on their buck.
You don't want to ruin the trans!.. Correct me if I'm wrong but Nissan will pay for the Radiator but if the trans fails, that bills on you...
I have an 07 which is exactly why I have done the bypass.
Radiator is covered but transmission isn't but Nissan are not pro actively changing the radiators before they fail.[/i]

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:53 pm

I thought the bulletin covered all parts affected by the radiator fail?
Radiator Assembly Program DetailsWARRANTY NOTIFICATION
Dear Nissan [Frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra] Owner:

Nissan is committed to providing the highest levels of product quality and customer satisfaction. With that in mind, Nissan is extending your vehicle's New Vehicle Limited Warranty on the radiator assembly. In vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions, a crack in the radiator assembly might occur at higher mileages leading to internal leakage of engine coolant.

While the majority of vehicles will not experience this issue, Nissan is extending the warranty as it applies to the radiator assembly to demonstrate our commitment to stand behind our products and our customers. Nissan is extending your vehicle's New Vehicle Limited Warranty as it applies to the radiator assembly and its component parts from 36 months/36,000 miles to 96 months/80,000 miles, including damage, repairs, replacement, and related towing resulting from this issue. Please remove the sticker located on the bottom of this letter and place it on the cover of your Nissan Warranty Information Booklet to remind you of the warranty extension, should you ever need to use it.

If you have previously paid to have your radiator assembly or other affected components repaired or replaced prior to this campaign you may be eligible for reimbursement of the related expense.

You may also contact Nissan via a dedicated 800 number at 1-800-867-7669.

The mailing address for this Warranty Extention is:
National Consumer Affairs Department
Nissan North America, Inc.
PO Box 685003,
Franklin, TN 37068-5003
Phone: 1-800-647-7261

Thank you for your cooperation. We are indeed sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:58 pm

NVSteve wrote:I thought the bulletin covered all parts affected by the radiator fail?
I agree with NVSteve. In reports when Nissan has covered this under warranty, they have covered the consequential damage in most cases. I do recall one that was well over the warranty and mileage limitation, and there they paid half.

Kinda sad that a part worth about $400 can knock out a part worth $5k. Probably a cost savings effort... :)

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:15 pm

The new landing page is online, and our domain name redirected to it, please post suggestions/changes for it here:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=43283

We've got a great template image for the info cards, but still need an online business card vendor that'll handle templates and orders as small as like 100 cards. Any suggestions folks?[/url]

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:38 am

Just reporting. My buddy's 2010 Pathfinder S currently has 114K miles on it. I checked and no bypass. He bought it brand new. (The one on the left)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:32 am

My 2006 LE just turned 97000 miles on it with the original radiator. So far no problems, but I'm not taking any more chances! I just ordered a new, aftermarket radiator with a lifetime warranty and free shipping from E-bay for $90. For me, it's cheap insurance. The seller of mine was Parts Express, but there are a couple of options on Ebay for under $100. The choice seems to be a single core rad w/ a 1-1/4" core depth or a 2-row core with a 1-1/8" depth. Not sure if one has a better cooling advantage over the other, but I went with the 2-core rad. Should be here in a few days!

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”