unknow fluid near and around the CAI area

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

mtbpath

unknow fluid near and around the CAI area

Postby mtbpath » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:29 pm

I have a CAI installed. I noticed today there was some fluid, somewhat splash like under the wheel well plastic area. right in front of the drivers tire.
so basically right under the CAI area. also collecting around the metal area near the drivers headlamp plus/harness assembly. the area where you would disconnect and remove your headlamp bulb.
well, this is not the first time and let me begin by saying I though it was just too much oil to the air filter and it dripped out and down through the plastic opening creating a splash like appearance.
but since cleaning it up and wiping it down really well it have appeared again.
now I'm getting suspicious because I don't think its the air filter fluid since I cleaned it back a while. unless it is still dripping out. could be.
but now am trying to think of other possibilities than that of the air filter oil.
has anyone else experienced this?
perhaps as I mentioned it can be filter oil but its been awhile since I last oiled it.
sorry no pics as it is too dark. will provide pics when there is light.
any ideas will be appreciated.
thanks all.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:15 am

What does the fluid smell like? There is a diff vent hose that comes up from the front diff up to the CAI box. Once in a while, depending on your driving conditions, i.e. heat/altitude/towing, pressure builds up in the diff housing and escapes through the vent tube. Happened to me a few times offroading at high altitudes with a lot of 4x4lo torque. You'll get diff fluid near or around the wheel well and CAI areas.
With that, check your front/rear diff fluid levels.

1armyguy

Postby 1armyguy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:13 pm

Where is the front diff vent tube suppose to attach at? I noticed when I had my up to rotate the tires and do a little looking around, that my was hanging down. Didn't know if it was pulled loose when I had the dealer replace the front sway bar bushings while they were replacing my transmission shifter with the sensor that is on it.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:28 pm

rragpaoa wrote:What does the fluid smell like? There is a diff vent hose that comes up from the front diff up to the CAI box. Once in a while, depending on your driving conditions, i.e. heat/altitude/towing, pressure builds up in the diff housing and escapes through the vent tube. Happened to me a few times offroading at high altitudes with a lot of 4x4lo torque. You'll get diff fluid near or around the wheel well and CAI areas.
With that, check your front/rear diff fluid levels.
I'll have to figure out where to look for that hose. I do have 4x4 but dont use it much. I haven't smelled it.
maybe its unrelated but when i turn the wheel hard left or right such as to park or turn around, I hear a clicking type sound as what I would think it I turn the wheel too hard. but its not a constant click to the point that I am concerned something could be broken.
if It is diff fluid, doesnt that mean I need to add more back?
don't really know much about the front diff.
thanks.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:56 pm

Nah, just check the diff levels. It's real easy. Just use a standard 1/4 socket extension, without any socket attached, located on the top right of the diff, and stick your finger in the hole, and you should feel fluid. To me, diff oil smells awful, so you will defintely know it's diff fluid by the smell. Losing a little diff oil from the vent is no problem.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Wed May 16, 2012 10:20 pm

you mean around this area near the air filter?
the oil I see is normal?
not sure where it would come from? a tube?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”