Automatic window surprise!

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

kazeej

Automatic window surprise!

Postby kazeej » Mon May 28, 2012 12:43 pm

I left for a cruise last week, and locked my keys away before I left home. When I came back a week later, I discovered that both front windows were completely open. Luckily, a friend had noticed and covered the windows to keep out the heavy rains we were having at the time.

Nissan had this really stupid idea to design the fob so that you can open the front windows by holding the unlock button down. That's not the stupid part. The stupid part is you can't close them the same way. You have to either turn the key in the lock on the driver's door, or turn the ignition on and use the buttons to close the windows.

The keys were locked in a safe. There is no way anyone could have pressed that button. I'm just thankful someone noticed and covered the windows.

It's the second time this has happened. The first time the windows were only open about 1/3, but it did rain in some. Apparently, there's an added feature of randomly activating this "feature" when you least expect it.

Is there any way to disable this?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon May 28, 2012 1:09 pm

A few people have posted about this. It does not happen on my 05.

Apparently there may be an option listed in the head unit to enable/disable this, but I've never seen it (on my buddy's 08).

Yep, not too sure why they would design this in, so easy to have it happen accidentally.

t

kazeej

Postby kazeej » Mon May 28, 2012 3:30 pm

disallow wrote:Apparently there may be an option listed in the head unit to enable/disable this, but I've never seen it...
Nah. I looked for it. There are other options like the speed of the Intermittent Wipers (which I don't have), the sensitivity of the Automatic Headlights (which I don't have)...

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon May 28, 2012 4:50 pm

I've never understood this feature. I've never noticed it on my 05 but my wife's Acura does it. I would prefer to have the windows roll up automatically rather than down. So if a sudden shower comes up you could roll up the windows quickly without even getting in the car.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:17 pm

Yes many later model Hondas and Acuras do this as well. My '00 VW Jetta did this as well...all work to roll down with remote but not up. I've never noticed it on my PF but never tried plus I also have aftermarket remote start which doubles as my remote entry...so perhaps it doesn't work with my aftermarket remote. Either way, I believe the catch with the remote roll-up part is liability related...obviously if you can roll them down accidentally, you could do the same for up and if some random person was standing there with their hand in the window...yes it's far fetched but the only logical reason.

The thought process behind it is you roll down your windows as you're approaching to help cool off the vehicle before you get in. The problem is if you can bump the button at any time. My remote start is very sensitive and I've walked out after putting keys in my pocket and found the PF running. Wondering how many times I've NOT known about this...at least it only runs 15 minutes.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue May 29, 2012 5:04 pm

I've used it on my 08 and love the ability to roll the windows down and get some air moving through it prior to getting in. I've not had a problem with mine rolling down by accident.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 30, 2012 12:15 am

I left Nissan late in 2003. Back then the issue would occur on some other models, like the Altima. Usually this problem could be attributed to one of two things. First, the remote transmitter (or "fob"). If this problem occurs on a regular basis, try removing the battery from the remote and see if it re-occurs. If it does, you can rule out the remote. Note, if there are more than one remote, remove the batteries from all of the remotes. If you can confirm that the remote is not the problem, the next likely problem is the key switch, located inside the driver's door, attached to the key cylinder. Remove the driver's door panel and try pulling lightly on the wires to the switch and wiggling them around; sometimes you can duplicate the problem. Inspect the wiring to the switch and make sure it has some slack and there are no signs of shorting. Also, inspect for signs of condensation in or on the switch, itself. If nothing is found, you may have to unplug the switch and leave it so to see if the problem re-occurs or not.

FindyourPath

Mother F*cker!!!!

Postby FindyourPath » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:06 am

Exact same thing happening as we speak.
Truck is soaked.
Work materials soaked.
2 towels to dry it.
Who is the dumbass jap who designed this???
Random stupid technology.
It doesnt happen random or accidental.
It happens when you lean on the remote in your pocket.

What the F*ck do i do now stop it???

*#*&@#&YQ)(@&^%$E!!!!!!!!

kazeej

Re: Mother F*cker!!!!

Postby kazeej » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:34 am

FindyourPath wrote:Exact same thing happening as we speak.
Truck is soaked.
Work materials soaked.
2 towels to dry it.
Who is the dumbass jap who designed this???
Random stupid technology.
It doesnt happen random or accidental.
It happens when you lean on the remote in your pocket.

What do i do now stop it???

*#*&@#&YQ)(@&^%$E!!!!!!!!
My fob was locked in a safe when it happened to me.
Some further research found that there is a switch in the door that can get wet when it rains. When this happens, the windows go down. Nice feature - when it rains hard enough, it opens its windows.
Just don't leave your Pathy parked in the rain, and it won't happen.

By the way, mine's for sale.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:21 am

FindyourPath wrote:Who is the dumbass jap who designed this???
:shock: :o offensive :!:

pandarturo88

Postby pandarturo88 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:02 pm

eieio wrote:
It's okay, he's from Florida :P

kazeej

Postby kazeej » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:40 pm

pandarturo88 wrote: It's okay, he's from Florida :P
For the record, I'm from Florida. I did remove the other offensive text from that FindyourPath's post, but I missed the question about the designer. Most of the people here aren't from here, and they make us "real" Floridians look bad.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:33 pm

eieio wrote:
Eieio,
If your interior got socked like his did, being offensive would be the last thing on your mind...
:D

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:04 am

The r51's are not japan made. The are made in the states.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:37 pm

They are also made in Barcelona, Spain.

Return to “R51 Electrical”