Starter problems

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

matt8urton

Starter problems

Postby matt8urton » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:58 am

So I replaced my starter and the pathfinder still won't start? Making the same noise, clicking cylinoids. Put a jumper pack on the battery and nothing. The old starter was test and was in fact dead. I got the new one off eBay, so could I have gotten a bad one? Could it be the cables are bad? Also, any advice on making starter removal easier on these things (1988)?

Also, I bought it in Denver and drive it up to a way higher altitude. Runs a little sputtery. Anything I can do to adapt to the alt. change?
Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:46 am

I don't like using aftermarket starters or alternators as they tend to be problematic. You best choice for a remanunfactured starter is to get one from Nissan. Yes, they are a bit more expensive, but who wants to replace a starter a second or third time, especially in a V6 Pathfinder? Yes, they are a pain to R&R. Procedure calls for unplugging the oil sender and disconnecting the steering linkage from the idler arm and pulling it out towards the front of the engine. Corroded cable and battery connections, as well as a weak battery, can all cause a starter to not start along with the "clicking" noise, which is why they need to be tested prior to diagnosing the starter as the problem. Cables can be tested with an ohmmeter. Connections should be clean and tight. Battery should be charged and then load tested.

matt8urton

Postby matt8urton » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks! Any advice on adapting to the higher alt.? I've read alot about O2 sensors being bad with these causing the same symptoms.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”