87 Head Replacement: Timing Chain?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Schrocketeer

87 Head Replacement: Timing Chain?

Postby Schrocketeer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:24 pm

So I'm replacing the head on my 87 Pathfinder with a four cylinder Z24 engine. I've got the head off, the block cleaned off, and the new head set in place, but not torqued down.

My problem is with the timing chain sprocket for the camshaft. As much as I stretch and pull, the sprocket still won't go on. It's short about 1.5cm.

When I took the timing chain off, I put the recommended weird-shaped block of wood in place to keep it from falling in. When I pulled the wooden block out on the other end, the chain had already fallen down, but it seemed to slide back on to the crankshaft sprocket alright.

By the way, I measured the two heads, and the new one is not taller than the old one.

Schrocketeer

Postby Schrocketeer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:16 pm

According to other forums, I'll need to remove the timing chain cover, located behind the crankshaft pulley.

People with same problem also found that the timing chain tensioner automatically tightened all the way when the block of wood was removed. Should have inserted the sprocket before the wooden block was removed...

I will post more when I get the time to work on it.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:31 am

makes sense. good luck!

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”