Newbie! Non working horn and cracked washer fluid tank >:

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

eaharbor93

Newbie! Non working horn and cracked washer fluid tank >:

Postby eaharbor93 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Hey everyone!

Just joined the site. I've had my 05 pathfinder SE 2wd for 6 months now and am in love with it. I have a few questions that I would really appreciate some input with!

First- my horn has intermittently stopped working. Is this common? Can I fix it? Would this be a good opportunity to upgrade? (it's wimpy in my opinion) I would love to give it the sound of my fathers f150.

Secondly- after scratching my head over my low washer fluid light coming on after just filling it, I have determined the tank is cracked. Is this a replacement I can do myself? How much would it cost roughly?

Lastly- my 90k service is coming up soon and I am looking for some input as to what you all think should be done. I plan to keep her for a long time so I'm not afraid to put in some extra effort on preventative maintenance. I looked at the "Premium" schedule in the manual and didn't know if it was bull or not.

Thank you so much for everyone's help in advance. I'm in need of some direction with this truck!

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:21 am

Welcome!

Horn: bad ground?
Washer tank: Can't be that hard to replace. Check courtestynissanparts.com or factorynissanparts.com for the best prices.

I can't recall what all is included in the 90k service. Probably just a bunch of fluid changes (transmisison, differential, coolant), air filter, etc. May want to change those out anyway since you don't know when they were done last. The spark plugs are due to be replaced at 105k miles. Check your brake pads for wear. I replaced both sets of mine in the 80-90k miles range.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

IIRC, Nissan doesn't recommend a trans service in either it's "normal" or "severe" service schedules, but inspect every 15000 miles. I like to do a drain and fill every 30K. miles, which takes approx. 1-gallon of Nissan type "S" ATF or compatable ATF. I've been using Valvoline Maxife ATF in an 06 LE and 08 SE without any issues for over a year. The rest of the 90K. service includes oil & filter, air filter, cabin air filter, tire rotation and a number of checks and inspections any competant mechanic would do anyway when servicing a vehicle (things like checking brakes, belt, hoses, etc.). I believe the coolant is also supposed to be replaced, as well. "Severe duty" service schedules are usually a bit more intensive and meant for vehicles that drive in a lot more extremes, such as those in very dusty environments or used for towing.

Horns aren't hard to 'upgrade' as long as you have the room to install the horn you wish to use. Most Nissans employ two horns, a high pitch and a low pitch, which ground directly to the body through the horn bracket. Reasons for a horn to stop working can include a bad horn, bad ground, bad relay, bad horn switch, or open/shorted circuit (blown fuse, broken wire, bad clockspring, etc.). Obviously, check the fuse, first. Then use a 12 v. test light to check for power to the horn(s) when the horn switch is pressed.

I've found the best prices for Nissan parts at 1stAAANissanParts.com but Brian at ENissanParts.com can set members of the forum up with wholesale accounts. I've yet to use them but sounds like he may be able to get even better prices than I am currently getting. To date, I've found 1stAAANissanParts.com (Mike Barney Nissan in NY state) to be consistantly cheaper than CourtesyParts and NissanPartsZone and shipping charges are reasonable. When it comes to aftermarket parts, Rockauto.com is hard to beat, but try to choose parts from the same warehouse as multiple warehouse origins can greatly increase the cost of shipping.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:20 am

I have replaced my windshield washer fluid resevoir and my second one is leaking!

I took off my passenger tire and I either had to remove the wheel well plastic or pull it back enough to get to the resevoir...not that bad of a job.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”