Any ideas where to find 220v dc-ac inverters

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

Any ideas where to find 220v dc-ac inverters

Postby blink32 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:13 am

So I'm looking for a place that sells dc-ac inverters but having very little luck. Specifically something in the 2.5kw or + range that has a 220v/240v outlet or that you can wire up directly like the model in this link has (note, it doesn't need to be designed like this or be a pure sine wave converter, picture for illustration purposes only):
http://www.novaelectric.com/dc_ac_inver ... 2volts.php

I'm thinking about a project and 240v output would be essential. This is to gauge cost and time vs purchasing something already built.

Anyone have any ideas where to look?

OurPathfinder

Postby OurPathfinder » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:58 pm

http://www.harborfreight.com might have something that you're looking for for not a lot of money. I have a 2000watt inverter hardwired in. Never know when you're going to need to run a band saw. :)

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:41 am

Are you trying to build a mobile office blink? The laptop stand and the inverter are giving you away. Harbor freight just opened up a new place in trenton if you wanted to check their stuff out personally. Plus there is one at the shore. Have you looked at the shack? http://www.radioshack.com/search/index. ... erter&sr=1

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:01 am

Kind of. :) The laptop stand was for (obviously) a laptop while I'm on the move. My Pathy is basically a road-tripper so this way the wife could watch movies, fire up Mappoint, surf the net if we're near an AP or fire up the celly card and get inet that way (if I ever get one).

This project was more for a poor-mans backup generator. I've got a generator (old lawn mower that now spins an Alternator that charges a 12V car batt) and I have been messing around with the idea of running as big an inverter as feasible from that and back-feeding my panel. The problem ultimately is that I can't cut off the common wire and would be back-feeding power to the city lines. Easily overcome with a few more parts but for now was just trying to gauge costs and what not.

I didn't know they opened an HF up in Trenton. I usually hit the one down in Vineland. Hump and a half so I have to justify it with other stuff like stopping at the Texas Roadhouse. If you happen to know the address or rough whereabouts I would appreciate the knowledge. I could get to that one easier since I could stop a few places on the way.

Haven't checked out the Shack as they are pretty tough to find in my parts. thanks for the info.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:27 am

Here is the new store website. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/r ... ore_ID=281
It's only 15 minutes from me, probably 45 or so from you.

The shack has plenty of stuff online, that isn't available in the stores. Of course HF probably has the same stuff cheaper. One other place is the Tractor supply co. SOUTHAMPTON #778
1869 ROUTE 38 - SOUTHAMPTON NJ 08088
(609) 702-9953

I have gotten ads from them lately and their prices are really good. Plus that is closer to you if you want to stop by.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:50 am

I definitely need to hit the TSC. I stopped at one in Oregon and it was all I could do to not rack up the CC bills. I got some Cast Iron cookware in a wooden crate (mostly for the crate) but left the rest alone.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”