about bad bearings and a dealer that says it's my fault

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jerry6

about bad bearings and a dealer that says it's my fault

Postby jerry6 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:09 am

i had appointment for oil change , on the way there the wheel bearing started to make big noise , stopped and called 1-800 Nissan towing to bring the truck in . they called on Friday saying the car was FINE no noise on test drive that included highway speeds !! then i get there and oh you'll not be happy , big trouble , they tightened you bolts to much at your garage as 3 lugs have snapped off
now if bearings go bad , rear axle , what happens if you continue to drive the truck ?
the dealer says the lugs snapped off because they were torqued to tight ?? 4000 miles ago , nothing to do with the screecjing wheel bearing ??
thanks

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon May 14, 2007 9:19 am

That sucks. Now did they do the honest thing and replace the bolts?

The wheel bearing will just keep making more noise and will get louder the longer it wears. Since most new vehicle makers don't just replace the wheel bearing for whatever reason, they replace the whole hub which cost a hell of a lot more than a $10 bearing. I would go on a test drive and make sure it's gone and make them change it if it's not before you are out of warrantee.

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:35 am

no now they say there is $1500.00 damage in the axle housing ?? 3 of the lugs are broken off now , they were there when i brought it in on the tow truck ,and they said it was fine after test drive but 2 hours later 3 lug nuts were blown off and all the other damage all the noise in the rear end is why i stopped driving it and towed it in . noww the rear has explodedand it's my fault ? so between the time of the first test drive (where everything was declared fine , no noise ran fine ) and me arriving at the dealer$1500 in damage that's my fault ? this on a 3 month old truck

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon May 14, 2007 10:11 am

You have some serious ammo for them to cover all the damage. Especially since they said it was fine after the road test. Broken lugs don't cause axle housing damage. First call nissan corporate. Since you called the tow truck as soon as you heard the noise, it's not your fault. Any damage done by the dealer in their fault. If that doesn't work I would just threaten with a lawyer. Just pick a name out of the phone book and see how things go. If they don't respond give the lawyer a call.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon May 14, 2007 11:18 am

Draw up a concise timeline of what happened when, and then call Nissan Consumer Affairs at 800-NISSAN-1. The corporate home office of most car manufacturers are far more interested in brand perception and customer satisfaction than a local PITA dealer, and they are the first folks you should call to start putting pressure on the dealer to live up to owning the problem.

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Mon May 14, 2007 12:12 pm

thanks guys , good info . i'll let you know how things go .

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:08 am

update , nissan canada says the story sounds fishy , the dealers not mine as 1 i brought the truck in by tow truck stating bad bearing or axle , could not be driven , 2 the dealer calls me 2 days later stating the truck is fine , NO NOISE , DRIVEN AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS ! 3 i get to dealer 2 hours later and , sir you will not be happy 3 lugnuts blown off and $1500.00 damage to the rear axle !
well nissan will get back to me in 1 or 2 days .
lets wait and see

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed May 16, 2007 6:04 am

Glad to hear Nissan is supporting you in dealing with the service department. Are you getting a free rental during this whole mess?

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Thu May 17, 2007 5:40 pm

new update , nissan canada says because i had winter wheels changed 4,000km before by independant garage it's my fault .never mind the test drove it at high speed after it was brought in by tow truck and they said it was fine but 3 lugs broken 2 hours later when i got there. so i need to bring it in to dealer to change winter tires over ?
it's off to small claims court , lucky there are 7 lawyers in the family . should be fun .
nissan has lost me . truck is for sale and a new ford is on the way , never had aby trouble with ford , partts break and they fix , no if ands or buts !

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu May 17, 2007 11:13 pm

Ouch, sorry to hear that Jerry, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck!

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Fri May 18, 2007 12:29 pm

That's a bummer. I'm sure it will help you have the lawyers in the family, but car companies hate to pay and will find loopholes in their warranty. Besides they wrote the thing, so they know all the outs.

Good luck with your next vehicle.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:50 am

jerry6 wrote:new update , nissan canada says because i had winter wheels changed 4,000km before by independant garage it's my fault .never mind the test drove it at high speed after it was brought in by tow truck and they said it was fine but 3 lugs broken 2 hours later when i got there. so i need to bring it in to dealer to change winter tires over ?
it's off to small claims court , lucky there are 7 lawyers in the family . should be fun .
nissan has lost me . truck is for sale and a new ford is on the way , never had aby trouble with ford , partts break and they fix , no if ands or buts !
Sounds like a BS anti-Nissan posting as anytime I've had a problem with the PF the local dealerships have provided both time and parts to get it fixed right.

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:35 am

I've got to agree with Greybrick on this one. jerry6 says his truck is three months old? Get real.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:22 am

...because i had winter wheels changed 4,000km before by independant garage
Gotta be the devil's advocate here. The dealer, or manufacturer, is not going to be liable for damage caused by aftemarket parts and/or work done by independent shops.

IF it is your winter wheels (I assume they are arftermarket?), OR the fault of the independent shop, then you are barking up the wrong tree. You need to get your family of lawyers after the wheel manufacturer, or shop that put them on... not Nissan.

On the otherhand, if it is not the fault of the wheels or the independent, you need proof. You will probably need a reputable, certified technician to document it. That tech needs to be willing to defend you in court.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”